Assessing Respiration - Endurance and Support
- Shallow & reduced breathing; air supply and/or wastge
- Difficulty coordinating breathing and speaking
a) Maintain duration of phonation on
1) vowel ‘ah’ & 2) s/z ratio (< 1.4)
- if /s/ is 20% longer than /z/ (>1.4) indicative of vocal pathology
Repeat tasks 3 times – use stop watch
- Normal 20 to 25 sec.
Sedate Geriatric 14.7 to 19.3 sec.
2) Assess maintenance of sufficient muscular effort over time during speech
Rapidly count to 200 noting changes in phonation, veloPharyngeal
closure and articulation of speech