- Talking through the nose due to inadequate closing off nasal cavity
- Allowing air to leak in creating nasal quality on all consonants rather than nasal sounds [ n, m, ng]
- Can be result of reduced movement of soft palate/velum
1) Read word list or passage with/m/, /n/, and /ing / words.
2) Compress and release nostrils as patient reads or “hums”
3) Listen for hypo nasality inability clearly indicates hyper nasality.
Hyper nasality - A typical in PD; however when occurring it can be severe
1) Alternate sustained /i/ and /u/.
2) Compress (pinch) and release nostrils.
3) If velopharyngeal closure is adequate, no alterations perceived
in vowel quality.
4) If poor velopharyngeal closure, flutter-like sound is heard