ASSESSING RESONANCE Cont’d ….
ROM – (range of motion) is restricted or reduced during AMR’s due to
rigidity is most typical in PD with high notes
1) Ability to produce rapid and accurate speech.
2) Deeply inhale & repeat: [/p^/, t^, k^ ] and “Patticake”
3) Repeat syllables for 10 seconds for at least 3 trials;
4) Average the number of Reps
5) Syllables should be equally spaced.
Assessing Hyper function
Observe sites of potential hyerfunction /tension
1) muscles of face and neck, mandibular restriction
2) Listen for strained voice quality / hard glottal attacks.
3) Note complaints of laryngeal pain.
5) Thyroid tipping forward – on high note causes stress
6) Tongue placement (Gentil, Pollak, 95’)