X hits on this document

115 views

0 shares

0 downloads

0 comments

6 / 12

   

 

 

A Brief History of G-40, activated August 14th, 1942 (from Uncle Sam’s records)

"Situated on the south-eastern side of the town of Barry, in Glamorganshire, South Wales, G-40 embraces the area and buildings which up to time of handing over to U.S. Army, was used by the British Army as a supply depot and was known as No. 2 Supply Reserve Depot. This was a British project before the war commenced and was intended to be used as a supply reserve depot, i.e., a depot supplying overseas garrisons with subsistence and disinfectants. It actually functioned in June 1940, before its scheduled time."

On August 14th 1942, Major James H. Finnerty... Quartermaster Corps, reported for duty and was designated commanding officer of G-40... Colonel William R. McMaster... QMC, reported for duty and was designated commanding officer of G- 40 by letter... dated August 21st, and Major James H. Finnerty was relieved as commanding officer. On September 15th 1942, Lt. Col. George C. Pilkington... QMC, reported for duty, and assumed command of G-40...

Improvements continued to be made and on or about September 25th, 1942, the camouflaging of the depot became complete. The civilian staff had been gradually absorbed by G-40, and on October 28th, 1942, all remaining civilians were transferred to G-40. On January 1st, 1943, the portion of No.2 Supply Reserve Depot, with the exception of No.5 Nissen Hut and Group V Officers Quarters, was officially handed over to U.S. Forces at general Depot G-40. Officers and enlisted personnel continued to arrive for duty at the depot, and on August 25th, 1943, Farm Camp Sully, now known as Farm Camp, was taken over by U.S. Forces to house troops. It has continually expanded to present date (April 1944) to approximately 2,200.

The Red Cross Club opened November 28th, 1943 at Farm Camp for the use of military personnel, and at present is supervised by two Red Cross girls and a staff of British workers.”

Document info
Document views115
Page views115
Page last viewedSat Dec 03 07:05:18 UTC 2016
Pages12
Paragraphs128
Words1903

Comments