X hits on this document





54 / 92


A 20-year-old male laborer was carrying a 20-foot piece of iron from a welding shop to an outside storage rack. As he was turning a corner near a bank of electrical transformers, the top end of the p i e c e o f i r o n s t r u c k a n u n i n s u l a t e d s u p p l y w i r e a t t h e t o p o f a t r a n s f o r m e r . A l t h o u g h t h e t r a n s f o r m - ers were surrounded by a 6-foot fence, they were about 3 feet taller than the fence enclosure. Each transformer carried 4,160 volts.

When the iron hit the supply wire, the laborer was electrocuted. A forklift operator heard the iron drop to the ground at about 8:46 a.m. and found the victim 5 minutes later. He was pronounced dead on arrival at a local hospital.

  • According to OSHA, the enclosure around the transformers was too low. The fence should have been

at least 8 feet tall.

  • The company in this case did not offer any formal safety training to its workers. All employers should develop safety and health training programs so their employees know how to recognize and avoid life-threatening hazards.

Take the following precautions to prevent injuries from contact with live parts:

Immediately report exposed live parts to a supervisor or teacher. As a student, you should never attempt to correct the condition yourself without supervision.

Provide guards or barriers if live parts cannot be enclosed completely.

Use covers, screens, or partitions for guarding that require tools to remove them.

Replace covers that have been removed from panels, motors, or fuse boxes.

Even when live parts are elevated to the required height (8 feet), care should be taken when using objects (like metal rods or pipes) that can contact these parts.

This cover cannot be removed without special tools.

Close unused conduit openings in boxes so that foreign objects (pencils, metal chips, conductive debris, etc.) cannot get inside and damage the circuit.

Control hazards of exposure to live electrical wires: use proper insulation

Insulation is made of material that does not conduct electricity (usually plastic, rubber,or fiber). Insulation covers wires and prevents

Page 46

Section 7

Document info
Document views114
Page views115
Page last viewedSat Oct 22 20:27:14 UTC 2016