❑ Energized-work approval signatures (authorizing or approving management, safety officer, owner, etc.).
To work on or near live parts, you must do the following:
❑ Have a written live-work permit for the work to be done.
❑ Wear the right PPE to protect against electric shock and arc flash. Never wear clothing made from synthetic materials, such as acetate, nylon, polyester, polypropylene, or rayon – alone or combined with cotton. Such clothing is dangerous because it can burn and melt into your skin.
The PPE that’s needed depends on the type of electric work being done. The minimum PPE required would be an untreated natural fiber long-sleeve shirt and long pants plus safety glasses with side shields. Depending on the voltage and the electric task to be done, different types of PPE are required. Fire-resistant protective clothing can include multi-layer flash suit jacket and pants, wraparound face shield, double-layer switching hood, voltage-rated gloves with leather protectors, electrically rated hard hats, and so forth. [(See Table 130.7(C)(9)(a) Hazard/Risk Category Classifications and Table 130.7(C)(10)) (NFPA 70E, 2004 Edition).
❑ Use the proper type of protective equipment, such as insulated tools and/or handling equipment that is rated for the voltage. These can include insulated fuse or fuse holding equipment, nonconductive ropes and handlines, fiberglass-reinforced plastic rods, nonconductive portable ladders (such as, fiberglass), protective shields, rubber insulating equipment, voltage-rated plastic guards, and so forth.
A lineman (the victim) was killed after contacting a 17,400-volt charged switch.The victim was part of a three-man crew replacing cables under a switch cabinet. At the time of the accident, the crew was feeding a new cable under the concrete foundation pad below the cabinet. As one worker pushed the cable under the foundation, the victim looped the cable inside the foundation under the cabinet. The victim was using a hot stick to loop the cable but was not wearing his hardhat when his head came either in close proximity to or contacted the charged switch. Crewmembers saw a flash and came around the switch cabinet to where the victim was located. He was found slumped partially in the cabinet. A crewmember used a hot stick to move the victim away from the cabinet and then began CPR. Emergency Medical Services transported the victim to a nearby hospital where he was declared dead from injuries associated with high-voltage electrocution.Based on the findings of the investigation, to prevent similar occurrences, employers should:
Ensure workers use personal protective equipment and enforce its use;
Ensure workers are capable of recognizing and avoiding hazardous situations;
Emphasize de-energizing, isolating, or cover energized work areas whenever personnel need to work
within high voltage danger zones. NIOSH FACE Program: Alaska Case Report 00AK011 | CDC/NIOSHFACE 00-AK-011