By Judi Hasson,
Federal Computer Week, August 29, 2002
August 2002, VA Medical Center, Indianapolis Indiana,
retired 139 desktop computers.
- Some were donated to schools
- Others were sold on the open market
- 3 ended up in a thrift shop where a journalist
The VA neglected to sanitize the computer's hard drives
(remove the drives' confidential information).
Many of the computers were later found to contain
sensitive medical information, including:
- Names of veterans with AIDS and mental health
- 44 credit card numbers used by that facility.