The Wiggins Farm, conveyed by the aforementioned Judge Thomas Leonard to Dr. Thomas Wiggins (#66) in 1783 was adjacent to the original Cemetery. However, in 1801 Dr. Wiggins bequeathed his farm to the Church, and the house thereon became the manse. The Church eventually sold the farm in 1848 while retaining three acres for Cemetery expansion, at which time Wiggins Street (see map) was opened. Later gifts of over four acres from Paul Tulane (#60) in 1878 and eight acres from Moses Taylor Pyne (#47) in 1919 led to the present-day size of almost twenty acres. Today the Cemetery has little possibility of future expansion at this site.
A visitor's time and energy will be well rewarded by use of the following Cemetery map to locate the graves of some of the people associated with
the long history of the Church, the University, and the town. The burial sites of all but four of the deceased presidents of the College and University can be found in the Presidents' Plot (missing are those of Jonathan Dickinson, Samuel Finley, Francis Landey Patton, and Woodrow Wilson). Although a Cemetery visitor will see a monument for Samuel Finley, he was buried elsewhere. Early in the twentieth century the Cemetery was enclosed by a low brick wall along Witherspoon Street and an old, dilapidated wooden fence around the rest of the perimeter. The ornamental wrought iron fence seen today was installed in 1916, a gift from George Allison Armour whose home at 83 Stockton Street has been the University president's official residence, now known as Lowry House, since 1968.
George H. Brown, Jr. (1934-2006), Cemetery research and citations
Everett B. Garretson, Editor
Thomas S. Fulmer, Cemetery map
Copyright © 1998-2008 by The Nassau Presbyterian Church of Princeton,
61 Nassau Street, Princeton, NJ 08542. All rights reserved