An adult honors the parents by providing for their needs (Mark 7:9-12).
“Honoring Parents” May 15, 2011 Exodus 20:12 (ESV)
LG STUDY GUIDE
5. Do you think children look to the government (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other programs) to carry much of the responsibilities families have been given by God to provide for the needs of their aging parents? Explain your answer.
QUICK REVIEW Children are to honor their father and mother throughout their lives.
GETTING TO KNOW YOU 1. Share about your fondest memory of your parents.
6. What would it look like in everyday life if you honored your parents by providing for their needs?
2. What do/did you find to be the most challenging aspect of honoring your parents?
TAKING IT HOME 1. Please continue to hold each other accountable to continue practicing one relational skill or tip from the week one of the current sermon series--e.g. appreciation, meditating on a particular verse that helps you to better connect with others, and etc.
DIGGING DEEPER A child honors the parents by being obedient (Ephesians 6:1-3).
2. In light of this week’s message, what do you sense that God is leading you to do? Please spend some time before your LG meeting this week to ponder on that question and pray for God’s leading concerning your relationship with your parents.
1. Generally, do you feel that children in today’s society are obedient and submissive to parents’ authority? Why or why not?
2. What causes a child to challenge a parent’s authority and what can be done to relieve that problem?
3. Prayer Time: Please share your joys and concerns with the group. If married, try to set aside time to pray together during the week.
A young adult honors the parents by showing them respect (Luke 18:20).
4. Life Journal: Please share one entry from your Life Journal (devotional) this week.
3. When do you think a child moves from honoring the parents by being obedient to honoring the parents by showing them respect?
Suggestion: As this can take long, take turn sharing each week.
4. What would it look like in everyday life if you honored your parents by showing them respect?
** LifeGroup Study questions are available for pick up at the Information Center located in the lobby. They are also available online at www.ynccla.org. ** Today’s message will be available on CD next week in the YNCC office. Previous weeks’ sermons are also available on CD and viewable online at www.ynccla.org/sermons.