X hits on this document

534 views

0 shares

0 downloads

0 comments

146 / 191

REID'S PRAIRIE BAPTIST CHURCH

On August 24, 1890, Brothers J. J. McConnell, T. J. Danford,

J. M. Shelton, A. W. McAlpine, A. M. Campbell, J. M. Milam, J. W.

Robertson, and A. J. Andrews and Sisters M. E. McConnell, Susan Danford,

Sallie McAlpine, M. E. Campbell, L. C. Milam, Elizabeth Robertson,

W. E. Andrews, Cynthis Ray, T. A. Sanders and Susan McAlpine met in the

schoolhouse, which was on the north side of Reid's Prairie, for the

purpose of organizing a Baptist Church. They elected to call it Reid's

Prairie Baptist Church. Rev. J. N. Clayton, missionary for the

Evergreen Association, served as preacher and moderator for this first

meeting. During this meeting Rev. Clayton was called as pastor of the

newly formed church. He accepted the call for one (1) year and served

for the next three (3) in that capacity. The first deacon to serve this

church was J. J. McConnell. Brothers J. J. McConnell and T. J. Danford

were elected as messengers to carry the petitionary letter to the

Evergreen Association. The first protracted meeting to be held by

Reid's Prairie Baptist Chbrch was held at this time. On October 25-, 1890,

Brother T. J. Danford reported that the church had been received by the

Evergreen Association. In April, 1896, the members organized the Sunday

School department of the church.

On July 8, 1894, a special meeting was called for the purpose of

starting a building program. Brother D. A. McAlpine donated a lot of

land next to the school property facing the Navasota Stage Road. The

gift of land was accepted unanimously by the church. The building

Document info
Document views534
Page views536
Page last viewedFri Dec 09 05:58:55 UTC 2016
Pages191
Paragraphs1819
Words26377

Comments