X hits on this document





29 / 83

What exam do I take?  

Elementary: Praxis II Elementary Education: Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment (Code 0011) Passing Score: 160

Secondary Social Studies: Praxis II Social Studies: Content Knowledge, Grades 7-12 (Code 0081) Passing Score: 158

How do I prepare?

At Tests at a Glance (on the website: www.ets.org/praxis), you can familiarize yourself with the structure and the content of the test you must take. You’ll find detailed test descriptions and sample questions with answers and explanations, tips on test preparation and test-taking strategies, and more. Test preparation books are available by mail or online (see www.ets.org/Media/Tests/PRAXIS/pdf/01361generalinfo.pdf for details).

When should I take the test?

We are recommending that you take the exam during Phase III of your program. Consider that there will be lag time of 4 to 6 weeks between taking the exam and the reporting of your score to the WY PTSB. PTSB has final approval for certification. Tests are administered seven times per year and dates are available at www.ets.org/praxis/prxdates.html. You can register for the exam by mail or online (see www.ets.org/praxis for details). You can take the exam as many times as you wish.

Where do I take the test?

In Wyoming, tests will be administered at Casper College (Casper), University of WY (Laramie), and Sheridan College (Sheridan).

What does it cost?

Elementary 0011: $75.00 Social Studies 0081: $75    

All tests also require a registration fee: $40.00

What happens if I don’t pass?

You have one year from the date of your application for initial certification to present a passing score to obtain a Standard WY Teaching Certificate. You may receive (from the PTSB) a one year authorization to work as a teacher based on your teacher preparation program institutional recommendation and/or other current state certificate during that one year period.

Where do I get additional information? University Testing Center (utc@uwyo.edu) or PTSB (800-675-6893)


Wyoming teacher certification is done through the Professional Teaching Standards Board (PTSB) in Cheyenne. Students who graduate with a College of Education major are not automatically certified. It is your responsibility to apply for Wyoming certification and submit the proper form to the OTE for Institutional Recommendation and signature.

If you choose to teach in another state, an institutional recommendation verifying that you have completed an approved program at the University of Wyoming is required. (Each state has their own form that you would submit to the OTE.) The Wyoming PTSB includes representatives from the university and community colleges in the state, as well as teachers representing different teaching areas. The PTSB approved new standards for teacher certification in Wyoming in 2003. The WTEP has aligned all program requirements and experiences with current PTSB standards to assure eligibility for Wyoming certification upon successful completion of our teacher preparation programs.


Document info
Document views264
Page views264
Page last viewedWed Jan 18 18:23:00 UTC 2017