U. S. District Court, District of Utah - Brief History
On July 16, 1894, the U.S. Congress organized Utah as one judicial district and authorized one judgeship for the U.S. District Court. The U.S. District Court for the District of Utah was assigned to the Eighth Circuit. On February 28, 1929, Congress assigned the District of Utah to the newly-organized Tenth Circuit.
In 1954, a temporary judgeship was added to Utah, and this position became permanent in 1961. In 1978, 1984, and 1990, additional judgeships were added for the District, totaling 5 authorized judgeships.
John Augustine Marshall, grand-nephew of Chief Justice John Curtis Marshall (1801- 1835), was the first U.S. District Court Judge in Utah. Tillman Davis Johnson succeeded Judge Marshall, with a tenure of 38 years on the bench in Utah. Judges Ritter, Christensen, and Anderson followed.
Seated currently on the bench in the District of Utah at this writing are: Chief Judge Tena Campbell, Judge Dee Benson, Judge Dale A. Kimball, Judge Ted Stewart, Senior Judge Bruce Jenkins, Senior Judge J. Thomas Greene, and Senior Judge David Sam. Also serving the District of Utah are Chief Magistrate Judge Samuel Alba, and Magistrate Judge David 0. Nuffer, Magistrate Judge Brooke Wells, and Magistrate Judge Paul Warner.
Judge Paul G. Cassell was the fourteenth U.S. District Court Judge for the District of Utah, upon his swearing in on July 2, 2002, and he has resigned from his judgeship in October of 2007.
The U.S. District Court for the District of Utah is currently housed in the Frank E. Moss U.S. Courthouse, named for Senator Frank Edward Moss who served as Utah representative in the U.S. Senate for 18 years from 1959 to 1976.