X hits on this document





16 / 34

to round the southern tip of Kyushu and then set course for Long Beach, California, once again.

She arrived in her home port of Long Beach on February 4th for all too brief a stay.  On 20 February, she commenced taking on a full cargo of fuel oil, diesel oil, and aviation gasoline at the fuel piers in San Pedro.  On 26 February, she again headed westward across the Pacific, this time enroute to Eniwetok in the Marshall Islands -where she arrived on 9 March. While at Eniwetok, on 14 March, she was ordered to proceed to rendezvous with U.S.S. MOCTOBI (ATF-105) which, with a tow, was in need of assistance. By the time the rendezvous was effected, the MOCTOBI had recovered her tow and no longer required assistance. However, CACAPON was ordered to remain with the two vessels until MOCTOBI delivered her tow to Eniwetok, which was successfully accomplished on March 17th.

After a round trip to Kwajalein, CACAPON proceeded to Midway Is­land arriving on 29 March and departing on the following day for Pearl Harbor. While enroute, overheating of the bearings on the port main engine necessitated stopping for a period of some six hours to effect temporary repairs after which the ship proceeded at a reduced speed and arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 4th of April. After discharging her gasoline at Ford Island, the ship entered the Navy Yard where she remained until 20 May while various repairs, including repairs to the port main engine were completed. A small percentage of the crew were permitted to go on leave to the United States during this period.

While at Pearl Harbor, Rear Admiral F. C. Denebrink, USN, Commander Service Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet, presented the Legion of Merit to Captain John G. McClaughry, USN,the Commanding Officer, and the Bronze Star to Lieutenant Commander C. J. Merritt, USN, the First Lieutenant and Gunnery Officer for their performance of duty in the Korean Theater during the period 9 August to 20 January 1951.

The ship commenced loading on May 20th and on the 24th departed from Pearl Harbor enroute once more to Sasebo, Japan, to commence her second tour of the Korean War. As on her previous tour, CACAPON again provided logistic services to the naval units off the coast of Korea engaged in the support of the United Nations action, returning to her base at Sasebo from time to time to reload.

A change in the routine commenced on 22 August when, after load­ing, the ship steamed out of Sasebo and headed for Keelung, Formosa to act as logistic support vessel for the ships of the Formosa Patrol Force for a period of about one month. The custom had become establish­ed to rotate one of the fleet oilers in the Western Pacific to that duty about once every month.  The change was a welcome one. While on this duty,the ship made a trip to the Pescadores Islands in the Formosa Straits to refuel the U.S.S. SALISBURY SOUND and her patrol plane, then proceed to Hong Kong, B.C.C. for a rest, recreation, and shopping period of about six days, departing on 20 September to return to Keelung.

- 13 -•

Document info
Document views101
Page views101
Page last viewedTue Jan 17 05:21:58 UTC 2017