X hits on this document





17 / 34

Upon being relieved in Keelung by U.S.S. CIMARRON (AO-22), on 25 September, the CACAPON headed northward again to resume operations with the mobile logistic group in the Korean area for another month before returning to the United States. After completing her last "re­plenishment trip" of her second Korean tour, she sailed to Yokosuka for a five day stay before starting for home on 31 October.  On arrival in Long Beach in mid-November, portions of the crew were granted leave.  The ship -was ordered to San Diego for inspection by Sub-Board of Inspection and Survey, and arrived there on November 23rd. On December 1st, Commander Alfred D. Kolmartin, USN, relieved Captain John G. McClaughry, USN, as Commanding Officer.

In order to accomplish various machinery repairs considered necessary before CACAPON should return to the Korean area, she was ordered to San Pedro and entered the Todd Shipyard in mid-December. It was there that she passed Christmas and saw the close of the year in 1951.

XII - "The Year 1952"

After leaving the Todd Shipyard at San Pedro shortly after the start of the new year, the CACAPON proceeded once more to San Diego for a short tender availability. On 25 January, she returned to San Pedro to commence taking on a full cargo.

During the last week of her stay in her home port before again heading westward, a most successful and enjoyable ship's party was held at the Wilton Hotel in Long Beach. Then on 1 February 1952, CACAPON again steamed out of Long Beach and set course directly for Japan where, after a very rough passage, which is not unusual in the Northern Pacific during the winter months, she arrived 18 days later in the harbor of Sasebo, having made no stops enroute.

She set out from Sasebo on the first replenishment run of her third Korean tour on 22 February. The Korean Was was completing its twentieth month. The tasks of the naval forces, and especially of the mobile replenishment force, were much the same as on the CACAPON's previous tours. She easily slipped back into her position on the replenishment team as a member of which she resumed her task of re­fueling ships of the fast carrier task force as well as vessels in the bombardment groups and blockade groups variously engaged along the northern portion of the east coast of Korea.

The CACAPONs third tour was scheduled to be shorter than the average tour for the fleet oilers, for she was scheduled to return to the United States in late May to commence her regular bi-annual Navy Yard overhaul. On 30 April, the logistic support unit to which CACAPON was attached was scheduled to replenish Task Force 77.  For the CACAPON, it was the first  replenishment of the task force since she had come back out to the line after reloading at Sasebo. U.S.S. PRINCETON (CVA-37) had been alongside CACAPON’s port side for some little time and had already

- 14 -

Document info
Document views127
Page views127
Page last viewedTue Jan 24 22:27:03 UTC 2017