X hits on this document





26 / 34

time in her history, she was taking out wives and children to show them not only how their husbands end fathers work, but that the work that they do accomplish, is vitally important.

The year came to a close with Otis Elevator Representatives, the Long Beach Naval Shipyard and the ship's force all madly scrambling against time and mechanical  bugs trying desperately to get the ship ready for sea on 2 January.  

XVII - "The Year 1957

The CACAPON left Long Beach Naval Shipyard on 2 January, took a partial load of fuel, and steamed to Saa Diego for the underway train­ing period under the watchful eye of the Fleet Training Group.  On 22 January, three days prior to the completion of her underway train­ing, the CACAPON ran aground by Buoy Number 6 in San Diego, when the command "left full rudder" resulted in a rapid swinging of the bow of the ship to the right. Two hours later, with the confused aid of a tug and after deballasting off the San Diego Harbor, the CACAPON was once again floating free, her watertight integrity unimpaired.

After this harrowing experience, the ship returned to Long Beach on 26 January to load stores and fuel and to depart for Yokosuka on 4 February.

During the crossing, the ship encountered so many vicious storms that she seemed to be almost constantly emboiled in one during the eighteen days necessary for the crossing.  Sixty foot waves became not uncommon, and the 30° rolls aggravated by rain, sleet, and snow, made land a welcome sight.  During the period between 22 February and 4 March, the CACAPON fueled numerous ships off Yokosuka, then took on more fuel, and on 9 March, departed for Subic Bay via Kobe and Sasebo, fueling units of Task Force 77 enroute.  The placid warm waters off the Philippines were a pleasant change from the cold climate of the Japan Sea. But there was no respite in sight for the ship. After her arrival in Subic on 22 March, she remained there just long enough to take on more fuel, and then was off for Dingalen Bay as a relief tanker for an incapacitated sister ship, charged with the mission of fueling the amphibious vessels of Task Force 76 anchored there at the conclusion of "Operation Beacon Hill".  For two days the men of the CACAPON remained at their stations while 28 ships came alongside and were successfully fueled with 48,997 barrels of NSFO and 8,096 barrels of diesel.

At the completion of the Dingalen Bay operation, the CACAPON re­turned to Subic, refueled units of Task Force 77, cautiously edged her way to Quitang Point for more fuel, and on 23 April, was underway for Kaohsiung for her term of duty as station oiler for the Taiwan Patrol. While in Kaohsiung, the Commanding Officer was SOPA during approxi­mately the first two weeks of the stay, and GOMDESRON NINE, who made his quarters aboard, was SOPA for the remainder of the time.

- 23 -

Document info
Document views123
Page views123
Page last viewedMon Jan 23 18:59:44 UTC 2017