X hits on this document





8 / 34

support for ships of the THIRD Fleet engaged in bombardments and aerial strikes against various objectives on the main Japanese Island of Kyushu, Honshu, and Hokkaddo. This particular logistic group was steaming in enemy water at the cessation of hostilities following the acceptance by the Japanese government of the surrender terms of the Allies. As one of the naval members of General MacArthur's occupa­tion forces, U.S.S. CACAPON arrived in Tokyo Bay on 20 September 1945.

In the twenty two months since the start of her first wartime mission in support of the FIFTH Fleet units in their raids against the Gilberts, the CACAPON fueled some 600 naval vessels, in the course of which she discharged some 2,100,000 barrels of fuel oil, 134,000 barrels of diesel oil, and 5,824,000 gallons of aviation gasoline.

Shortly after arrival of the CACAPON in Tokyo Bay, it was learned that her stay there would be very brief, for she was scheduled to head for the United States in about ten days, for a much needed overhaul. An incident that occured on the evening of 28 September 1945 came very close to necessitating a modification of sailing orders. On the day in question the CACAPON was discharging aviation gasoline to U.S.S. NECHES (AO-47) when one of the sudden "northers", that are common in Tokyo Bay, sprang up and both ships started to drag anchors. The NECHES got underway in order that the CACAPON might be free to maneu­ver to keep clear of the three cruisers OAKLAND, ATLANTA, and SPRING­FIELD which were anchored in the near vicinity. Before she could maneuver however, the CACAPON had dragged anchor sufficiently that she had drifted down on the OAKLAND, the port quarter of the CACAPON "nudging" the starboard bow of the OAKLAND. The anchor chain of the OAKLAND became fouled in the screw of the CACAPON. Finally the OAKLAND slipped her anchor chain and "withdrew" from the engagement. Except for some small dents on the port quarter of the CACAPON, no damage was done.

It was with a feeling of relief at not having sustained any damage in her second close call, and a feeling of happy anticipation at returning home again that the CACAPON got underway on the morning of 30 September and steamed out of Tokyo Bay in company with the U.S.S. PLATTE (AO-24), Following the great circle route, the two ships arrived in San Pedro, California, on 11 October 1945.

Almost immediately after arrival, the CACAPON went into the Navy Yard for overhaul. During the 60-day period the ship was under over­haul, a large number of the men who had served in her since commission­ing were discharged and were replaced by new men.

On completion of her overhaul, CACAPON was ordered to proceed to Yokohama, Japan. She departed from San Pedro on 17 December and, after a voyage that will be long remembered for the heavy seas encountered, arrived in Yokohama on December 30th.

_ 5 -

Document info
Document views116
Page views116
Page last viewedSat Jan 21 18:31:29 UTC 2017