The First St. Patrick Church
In 1880 the Church was incorporated under the laws of the State of Wisconsin with the following members acting on the committee: The most Rev. M. Heiss, Father Vahey, Thomas O’Brien and Thomas Slattery. The first St. Patrick Church was completed in 1881.
In 1886 Father M. Luby served the needs of St. Patrick’s for one year. In 1887, a vigorous young Irish priest named Father James Nicholas, who had just completed his education in Europe, became pastor of the church and served the parish for 25 years. During his pastorate the church flourished.
Branch 105 of the Catholic Knights was chartered here about 1892 and its 55 members were most active in promoting the parish. (Columbus Hall was built in 1897)
The need for a cemetery presented itself and in 1886 the land for Mount Olivet was purchased. Prior to this time, the parish buried its dead in Delavan and East Troy. The men of the parish donated their labor… and built the stone gateway. The car of today is somewhat wide for the arched gateway. In 1956 this gateway was closed and a new entrance was made… the arched gateway remains as a memorial to the pioneers.