X hits on this document





15 / 55

Technical Record

This used to be called the “Technical Logbook”, but the name was changed with the introduction of the CARs in 1996. The main reason for that was that many commercial operators wanted the flexibility to keep records electronically.

Many private owners still use the traditional “government-issue green binder” which is still acceptable, but your technical records can be in any form, as long as they are complete and include the history of the work done, hours flown and the parts installed and removed. These days, many owners are at least tracking maintenance requirements in some electronic form. Parts records often end up in a separate binder or file folder, along with the required airframe, engine and prop records.

The complete rules on the technical records can be found in CARs 605.92 to


Certificate of Registration

When you purchase a used certified aircraft, the previous owner sends in the attached card to cancel of the old C of R and the new owner then applies to register the aircraft. This is an easy procedure just fill in the application on the back of the C of R and send it to TC along with a cheque for $110. TC has additional information on the registration process in a pamphlet entitled “How do I “Re-Registeran Aircraft in My Name?”

The temporary C of R that comes with the documentation is valid for 90 days, allowing you to keep flying the aircraft within Canada for that period. You should note that US Customs regulations prohibit aircraft from other countries flying on temporary registration documents from entering the US. US Customs have been checking for this at the border, so if you have to ferry your new plane home, count on flying through Canadian airspace only.

COPA Guide to Certified Aircraft 15

Document info
Document views192
Page views192
Page last viewedMon Jan 23 13:02:43 UTC 2017