STATES DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR CONSERVATION AND RECREATION SERVICE
FOR rutv. m-K3.u=>C:
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES INVENTORY-NOMINATION FORM
For Dickmann the dedication was "one of the happiest moments and a "great day for the colored people, a great day for St.
in my administration" Louis, and a great day
because it gives us another opportunity to advance civilization."7
Despite general acknowledgement of Homer G. Phillips 1 significance
early years the hospital budget was being "underpaid and overworked."8
limited and the staff soon earned a repuation of in 1944, Homer G. Phillips ranked in the upper
third of training
the ten largest general hospitals one-third of the graduates of the
in the country; by 1948, two black medical schools
hospital was the country.
The hospital was also g-aining a national reputation for treatment of the acutely injured and the staff was making valuable contributions to the development of techniques for intravenous protein feeding and for the treatment of gunshot wounds,
program Homer G.
for interns and residents and Phillips established schools
school of for x-ray
nursing, between 1938 and 1946 technicians, laboratory technicians
offered a program of advanced training to certified foreign doctors which helped ease the ever-present staff shortage as well as giving opportunity to foreign
doctors who, because of race or creed, were denied training in other hospitals.
Phillips was no longer to be an exlusively black institution following
a 1955 order western part
from the Mayor that of the city must be
creed living in the in 1960, every de
partment was also Homer G.
of the hospital was a faculty member of Phillips celebrated
staffed by a black doctor or associate director who
St. Louis University twenty-five years of
or Washington University. 10 service, the hospital could
having trained the largest number of black doctors and eight hundred interns trained at Homer G. Phillips, by
hundred were American blacks, States that was not served by
and there was no sizable black community in the United at least one Homer G. Phillips-trained doctor.' 1
During the fall
reported attempts were underway
to reduce medical to Alderman Clark place where it is
service or possibly close Homer G.
4th Ward, the
mostly" in an
city was "trying to move a hospital from a effort to centralize municipal hospital care
at City Hospital
on the near south side.
The transfer to City Hospital
divisions such as the Washington University Discrepancies between
neuro-psychiatric clinic was explained as a convenience to teaching staff who were affiliated with City Hospital #1. the salaries of medical directors and operating budgets of
the two city hospitals were noted as inequity to Homer was reported in recruiting qualified staff at Homer G. were not competitive and Washington University and St.
Phillips. 1 '
Phillips because Louis University
salaries would no
longer make their published finding
personnel available to of a "long-suppressed"
the hospital. 13