or minimized. As such, Flight Standards developed new guidance for the aviation inspector’s handbook. In addition, to assist you in becoming familiar with the new guidance, we have listed all of the newly developed or revised chapters below.
3. RISK BASED SURVEILLANCE. The enhanced repair station and air carrier oversight is a standardized oversight system for repair station and air carrier outsourcing surveillance. As such, this is a risk based oversight system that allows for continuous assessment of each repair station and prioritization among repair stations; targeting Flight Standards’ resources for use in the areas of highest risk. Additionally, certificate management can use a corresponding Risk Management Process for issues of concern. This system is for use by Flight Standards personnel involved in the certificate management of 14 CFR part 145 Repair Stations including air carrier maintenance outsourcing.
Enhanced maintenance oversight will be accomplished utilizing the following components:
A. Risk Based Oversight System for Repair Stations.
(1) An enhanced baseline surveillance program for repair stations whereby the current PTRS 3650/5650 is divided into elements to better define the intent of the guidance and provide for more comprehensive surveillance.
(2) A Repair Station Assessment Tool (RSAT) will provide an overall assessment of the repair station, identify potential risk areas, and update surveillance program.
(3) A Risk Management Process (RMP) will be initiated for issues of high concern.
(4) An enhanced data recordation system to improve data reliability.
B. Enhanced Tools for Evaluation of Air Carrier Maintenance Outsourcing Including an Outsource Oversight Prioritization Tool (OPT).
4. AIR CARRIER MAINTENANCE OUTSOURCING. This System Safety based approach identifies specific procedures that enhance air carrier outsourcing oversight. This system is comprised of the current tools available to the air carrier certificate management offices and a new OPT.
A. The overall air carrier outsourcing prioritization process involves the following steps:
(1) Data packages will be generated utilizing current sources for the desired maintenance providers. This includes the results of the RSAT and 3650/5650 for each of the desired vendors. This data is reviewed by the PI prior to completing the OPT.
(2) The OPT is completed for all desired maintenance providers taking into consideration step 1, the expertise of PI and system design, which includes operating environment, configuration and design of the air carrier and repair station.