have put forward this as a possibility but I have a problem with their suggestion because it is unlikely that Cullen church was in Catholic hands at the time.
An interesting fact of history of the time is that Cornelius McCarthy, born in Dromsicane and later PP of Currow, was hanged at Fair in Killarney on June 16th 1653. His cause for beatification is currently proceeding. Dromsicane at this stage was a stronghold of the McDonagh McCarthy of Duhallow, although it is sometimes claimed as an O'Keeffe castle.
Cullen is next mentioned in records during Penal times. As we will note later, priests were obliged to register during Penal times. Amongst the Popish priests registered at the General Sessions in Cork, in July 1704, was a Daniel Keeffe who was a Parish Priest of Kilmeen and Cullen. Aged 57, he was ordained by Bishop John Dorley in Limerick in 1682. He gave as his sureties Manus O'Keeffe of Knocknageehy and Owen Callaghan of Lotly. In 1714, before the Grand Jury in Cork, evidence was given that he had taken the oath of abjuration which required priests to swear that James II, or any pretender, had no title to the English crown. This requirement was introduced in 1710 as a further measure to prevent the spread of Popery.
There were 1,080 priests registered in Ireland. Most priests, including Owen Keeffe of Clonfert (Newmarket), refused to take the oath. In fact, only 33 in all did so.
Teig Croneen, 43 years, is listed as Parish Priest of Cullen and Nohoval. He was ordained in France by the Bishop of Montabone in 1685. Cullen still remained a separate parish until the early 1800's when it was linked with Drishane.
The Parish of Drishane from early records.
Drishane, or however it was previously known, is not mentioned in the Papal Taxation records of 1302. The earliest mention of the parish, in official records, is in the Papal Registers of the 15th Century. In these there are four entries in which it is named as Dressane, alias Kylmide, or Drissean Thologvig. In the earliest of these entries there is also mention of Kilmichun in the Parish of Drishane, This was the former name for Ballydaly. The entries are as follows:
1463 Matthew O'Falvey, treasurer of the Diocese of Ardfert, was lately provided with the sinecure called Kilmichun within the parish of Drissean (March 3rd C.P.R. Vol. XII p.197).
1466 Donald O'Suliband, said to be guilty of simony, dilapidation of the vicarage of Drissean (alias Kylmide) and for several years he was non-resident. Donatus O'Conbagy, priest, informed the Pope. After the investigation Pope Paul II mandated the removal of Donald O'Suliband and the said priest Donatus was assigned to the vicarage of Drissean and also the vicarage of Raydleryn (Rathclaren) in the Diocese of Cloyne. (Dec.l2th C.P.R. Vol.XII p.551 & 21 Jan. 1461).
1473 Thady O'Mulkacka, clerk, is provided to the rectory or parcel called Kilmicluyn, in the parish of Drissean Thologvig, vacant by the death of Matthew O'Falvey and also the vicarage of Killarney (May 21st C.P.R. Vol. Xiii p.343).
1492. Pope Innocent VIII mandated three clerics to hear a cause whether Cornelius O'Riordan had a right to the vicarage of Drissean and if so to unite the vicarages of Macloney and Killmochealloge until his death or resignation (7t h April C.P.R., p. 872).
What conclusion can be drawn from these entries? Firstly, that Kilmide (Kilmeedy) was the earliest name for the Parish of Drishane and is spelt variously. Secondly, that there was a church in Ballydaly called Kilmichun or Kilmicluyn to which priests, who had other offices in the Diocese, were assigned without pastoral responsibilities. Thirdly, it was about this time that the parish became known as Drishane, named probably after the castle built there in the mid 15th Century.Finally, that the church in the area was experiencing some