Parish Priests in the Parish of Drishane (18th -19th Century).
Denis P O'Sullivan.
Studied at the Irish College
Louvain for nine years and for two years in Douai. Ordained in Malines December 18th 1734. Nephew of Bishop Eugene O'Sullivan.
Thaddeus O'Sullivan. PP Cuileann and Nohoval
1777-1812. Thomas Plunkett. Curate in Killarney 1776. PP Drishane 1777. Lived at Kippagh. Will approved 1812.
Demetrius (Jeremiah) O'Mahoney.
Killarney June 1st 1827. PP Listowel 1829 where he died in 1856.
Patrick Fitzpatrick, born at Dromnahoe near Dromagh
March 17th 1787. Ordained 1811. Responsible for building first church and convent on present site. Curate Rathmore, Lixnaw, Firies and Dingle. PP Kenmare, 1819. Baptised Dr Moriarty, later Bishop. Died March 6t h 1865 aged 78 yrs. A dedicatory slab in Millstreet church, near former baptistery, was erected at the behest of Bishop
William Horgaji, born at Kilcummin 1824. Died aged 48
and buried in family grave. The beautiful Calvary window behind the High Altar is dedicated to his memory and gives the date of his death as October 1st 1872. He studied with great distinction at Maynooth and was curate in Kenmare and Tralee and Administrator in Killarney prior to his appointment to Millstreet. In the opinion of Bishop Moriarty he was by far the ablest and most learned he ever met among
Missionary priests. He died of Bright's Disease.
Arthur Griffin, born Molahiffe and for 27 years Parish
Priest of Drishane. His grave is a plot on the right, inside the church gate. The Good Shepherd Window in Cullen Church (right aisle end)
is a memorial to him.
1899-1907. Charles O'Sullivan, ordained in Maynooth 1884. Curate in Lixnaw and Millstreet (1887). Administrator of parish 1900. Transferred to Tralee. Consecrated Bishop 1918. He died in 1924 and is buried in the grounds of Killarney Cathedral.
List of Curates who served in Millstreet
W Moriarty CC Drishane and Cullen.
Cornelius O'Sullivan (3yrs).
T Carmody and J Larkin.
The contribution of Fr Fitzpatrick.
To him goes the credit of being the founder and longest serving parish priest of the parish as we know it today, When he came to Drishane in 1820 there was no school, presbytery or convent in Millstreet. He lived for a while with the Protestant minister at the Glebe in Drishane. A year later he moved to Drishanebeg and then to the Priest's Cross. By the time of Catholic Emancipation he was living across the road from the present church. In the 1830's work commenced on a group of buildings comprising the church, the convent and the presbytery, for which he secured the deed in 1839. Due to the munificence and zeal of Bishop Egan who endowed it, the Presentation convent opened on May 28th 1840 with four sisters under Mother Clare Barry. The new church opened in 1838. On the wall of the right aisle, near the entrance to the baptistery, there is a plaque commemorating his achievements. This was erected by Bishop Moriarty. It makes reference to his zeal, piety, prudence and patience and his long service to the Parish of Drishane. He was born on St Patrick's Day, both his names include Patrick and the church which he erected was dedicated to St Patrick, the Apostle of Ireland, and our most illustrious saint.