continued teaching until retirement in 1892. She was succeeded by Kate Cronin (nee Hickey) who was of the same family as the forebears of an tAthair Peadar O'Laoire. She moved to Cullen from Rathduane school and lived in Millstreet until her retirement in 1909 at the age of 87. Assistants during those years included Ellen O'Donoghue (appointed 1864), Hannah O'Riordan (1869) and Nanno Hurley (1871). All three were still in the school in 1892.
The first principal of the boys school was William Godsil, a native of Boherbue, who remained for only a few years and was replaced by Robert O'Dwyer, who found difficulty in securing lodgings and left for the Training College in Dublin after a few years. He was succeeded by Conal George McSweeney, from a Millstreet family of shoemakers. His intemperate ways led him to leave and emigrate to New York.
The next principal was Tadhg Ring, born near Doon Bridge 1824, who was probably educated by the poet and hedgeschool teacher, Edward Walsh of Derragh. He began his teaching career in Kenmare, his wife's home place, but after some years he secured a post as principal in Cullen. He was an Irish speaker and ardent patriot. He closed the school on the morning of the 1867 uprising and set off for Cahirciveen to join the planned march to Killarney. On returning he had to satisfactorily explain his absence to the authorities with support from his generous manager Fr Horgan. One of his renowned pupils was the poet and stonemason Donal O'Connor. When Canon Griffin succeeded as PP in 1872, Tadhg felt insecure and took a job in a small school in Kenmare, where he ended his days (cf Seanchas Duthalla 2006 p.57).
He was succeeded by Michael Buckley of Ahane, an assistant at the school, who died in 1883 from a hip injury. His successor was John Kiely, from Feenagh in Limerick, who was appointed in 1884.
He obtained a certificate of competency in Irish great promoter of the Gaelic League and establishing the first bilingual school in North decade of the 20th Century.
in 1894. He was a was successful in Cork, in the first
He was succeeded by his son Roger in 1925. Roger married Elizabeth O'Keeffe, daughter of a fanner in Mologhroe, where he lodged. Registers survive for Cullen National School from 1864 in the County Library and from 1918 in the current National School.
Rathduane National School AD 1869.
This is the only school in the parish operating in its original building. It began as a two roomed school, constructed on lands donated by John McCarthy of Rathduane Great House in 1869. He had lands at Knocknagullane. He had previously provided a chapel at Rathduane, for the people of the area, which was blessed and opened by Bishop Moriarty on August 13th 1864. Two further rooms were added to the school in 1882. In 1900 it had approximately 100 pupils on the roll. The earliest teachers included Phillip Moynihan, who probably was a monitor at Hollymount in 1883, Kate Cronin (nee Hickey) who transferred as principal to Cullen in 1892 and Michael Murphy of Annagloor, who taught there before going to teach in Millstreet.
Although threatened with closure in the early 1990's, the school was retained and extensively refurbished in 1991. Today it has two teachers and 25 pupils. Its registers go back to 1892.
Cloghoola National School AD 1869.
The old school (now disused) was built at the same time as Rathduane. It was a two roomed school and was replaced by a new school built close by in 1968. In 1900 there were 25 girls and in 1903, there were 26 boys on the roll in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd classes. It is now a two teacher school. Earliest teachers include Denis O'Sullivan, Michael Murphy and Jim Dennehy but no dates are available for when they taught there.Registers survive from 1894 for girls and from 1903 for boys.
Millstreet Town Schools. The Boys School:
The schoolhouse was endowed by the McCarthy-O'Leary family, which opened circa 1825 at the West End, probably continued to function until the opening of the new Boys school at Clara Road in 1894. Its first principal was William O'Riordan, who became secretary of the newly established branch of the Gaelic League in
1898. This school continued in use until 1958 when it
the new school, Scoil Mhuire, Registers survive from 1925.
replaced by town park.
We also know from a Board of Education Report (1835) that the poet Edward Walsh ran a fee paying school at Drishane. Numbers had increased over a period of five years to 70 boys (50 during winter months).