"The knowledge of past times and of places on this earth is both ornament and nutriment to the human mind." Leonardo da Vinci.
Every year, as a result of demolition or decay, cherished aspects of our heritage pass into oblivion e.g. ring forts, homesteads, creameries, old churches etc. Similarly much valuable knowledge and folk memories are lost when the older generations pass on. This is especially noted by people who have attempted to construct a family tree and rue the fact that they hadn't sought more information from their parents or grandparents whilst still alive. People sometimes ask whether anything can be done to halt such irreparable loss or is it an inevitable consequence of progress and change.
It seems, however, that historical societies and individual amateur historians, with a keen interest in their local community, can do a lot to record, preserve and interpret the transient aspects of our past history and keep alive memories of the events and leading personalities which have made our town or rural area what it is today. The landscape, local placenames and the material remains of the past can reveal to the curious observer many indications of past changes which were dictated by the social and economic needs of the community at the time.
This publication attempts to trace the development of the Parish of Millstreet from early medieval times until the end of the 19th Century. It will focus on the ecclesiastical, cultural and educational aspects of the changes which have taken place. These will be considered against the prevailing political and social backdrop of the time. Much has been done already to record aspects of our local history but there are still notable gaps.
Among the contributions reference can be made to the following publications:
History of Millstreet by Fr William Ferris 1937 (reprinted 1972 and
originally published under the pseudonym Timothy Broker as
"Sraid an Mhuilinn - a history of its people, by its people, for its
people". It lists the antiquities of the parish e.g. ring forts,
souterrains, fulacht fiadha, information gathered at
etc. Apparently Station Masses,
gallans, it was It is a
comprehensive list of the antiquities of the area.
Liber Chronicus by Canon Michael Costello (PP 1955-1967).
Notes on the development of the Church, Convent and schools at West End, Millstreet and of the clergy from the early 1800's until 1950, together with a general history of Millstreet Parish. Edited with a foreword by Msgr. Michael Manning 2001. (Published as 'Notes on the history of Millstreet' by the AHS).
Aubane: Where in the world is it? by Jack Lane 1999.Treats of the
political and economic history of this town-land as a microcosm of national history from the Cromwellian settlement up to the present time. It includes interesting comments of early tourists who passed through the town, on route from Cork to Killarney, as well as some local poems, songs and recitations.
Cullen, a brief history by Eileen O'Connor 2007. Published on the
occasion of the Church's centenary.
Picture Millstreet, a pictorial record of Millstreet and its
environs 1800-1980 by Sean Radley, published 1997.
Millstreet Green and Gold by Jim Cronin 1984. It chronicles a
century of GAA activities, with a fourteen page introduction on local history.
Booklets available on Tubrid Well by Tadhg Kennelly, on St
John's Well, Mushera, by Mary O'Brien, on St Anna's Church by Denis Tangney and one on Brisbane Convent
Aubane Historical Society - a number of publications on the
political and economic changes in the community.
Seanchas Duthalla - has published numerous features relating to the
parish of Millstreet since its inception in 1975.
Cumann Luachra Journal