Most of the collection, however, was purchased by the National Library in 1942 and 1946.
The documents in the collection range from the thirteenth century to the twentieth, although the large majority of them dates from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The collection reflects the interests of Francis Green as both antiquary and lawyer, and almost all the documents are from Pembrokeshire.
Although it is a miscellaneous collection, it is obvious that groups of documents deal with specific families or lands, and these have been brought together within the schedule. An effort has been made to link associated items by means of cross references.
Of particular interest among the miscellaneous items are a grant of land by a member of the Knights Templar at Slebech (no. 1); a certificate of a marriage which took place at a Quaker meeting house at London in 1743 (no. 213); and an exemplification of a grant of five hundred acres of land in Pensylvannia by William Penn (no. 403).
Within each class, the documents are listed in broad chronological order.
1-38: DEEDS AND DOCUMENTS, 13th cent. - 1679
[second half 13C.]
1.Brother William de Hulles, master of the Hospital of Slebech.
2.Dominus Phillip, vicar of Marthiltwye, Roger the merchant and Agnes his wife, William Cork, William Duy, Philip Bold, Richard ‘cissori’ et al.
GIFT of all the land of 1 at Marthiltwye (excepting a gr. and 3 a. annexed for the vicar as perambulated), together with the laws, liberties and customs as those of the burgesses of Slebech and Minuer.
Annual rent: 2s. 6d.
Witnesses: Brother Robert of Thethele, Dom. Thomas of Rosele, Richard Perseuale, John Beneg, Walter Bertelet, John Piketon.
Cancelled by cutting
1416, Dec. 16
1.William Afftecote, son and heir of Margaret Cadell, wife of John Afftecote.
2.Philipp Lloid, chaplain.
GIFT of m’s, tmt’s, and lands in Dreynhill, co. Pemb.
Witnesses: Richard Hill, Thomas ap L[ ] junior, John Cole, William Robyne, David Roche.