X hits on this document

10 views

0 shares

0 downloads

0 comments

2 / 3

and try to understand the circumstances. Dale did not know what recourse people have who have already entered the postal competition associated with this meet, whose deadline was Sept. 12. We will need a long-term resolution about LATyCAR, because many of our members compete in triathlons or open-water events run by for-profit corporations, and could be at risk for competing in those events too. Dale said it would be unprecedented to use this FINA rule to sanction Masters athletes. Dale will represent USMS with Mr. Mendoza, and he understands our position. If swimmers are suspended, they would have to appeal to FINA. USMS would have to likewise suspend the FINA- sanctioned swimmers. Rob summarized that Dale will talk to Mr. Mendoza tomorrow, will notify Rob quickly about what he learns, and then Rob will notify the Board.

Board bonding. Rob observed that the Board has already bonded, thanks to the LATyCAR issue. The midyear meeting of the Executive Committee will be expanded to the entire Board of Directors next year, and be held at The Woodlands, Tex., Jan. 27–29. Rob anticipates at least two additional conference calls for the Board. He wants the Board to be more actively involved in financial decisions than in the past. Tom said the Finance Committee will be reviewing the budget and looking at our investment strategy for our reserves. They will also review FOG.

Board orientation. Julie handed out some literature on the responsibilities of being on a Board of Directors. Jim recommended that we put “Assess Its Own Performance” on the agenda for the midyear Board meeting. Rob would like the Board to concentrate on planning and policy. Tom noted that the immediate task is to reestablish committees. Rob will appoint the chairs, and work with the divisional vice presidents to fill out the committees.

Continuing projects.

  • Jim announced that the FINA congress will be meeting before the XI FINA World Masters Championships. All rules proposals must be submitted through USAS, and in Jim’s hands by Nov. 1.

  • There is ongoing work relating to linking advertising in the USMS national publication and sponsor packages. The previous Executive Committee’s policy statement on this subject can be found in their meeting minutes. There will be tax implications for USMS only when the magazine is in the black. Betsy felt she needed to see the numbers used to devise the package before she could make a decision. Jim noted that one of the goals will be to recruit sponsors outside of aquatics. Rob will distribute copies of the proposed package to the Board. Rob asked Betsy to work with Tracy and Mel Goldstein to get numbers together to help the Board make a decision.

  • Rob has a letter from the XI FINA Masters Organizing Committee asking National Governing Bodies, including USMS, to agree to name the organizing committee, FINA and Stanford as additional insureds and to indemnify those organizations except for gross negligence. Tom said if this indemnification is beyond normal, then he questions the need for it. Patty said she would like to

Document info
Document views10
Page views10
Page last viewedSat Dec 03 16:10:09 UTC 2016
Pages3
Paragraphs36
Words1316

Comments