5 out of 61 Global 200 marine ecoregions = 8.19%
LARGE DELTAS, MANGROVES & ESTUARIES
(173) Central American Mangroves - Belize, Mexico, Honduras , Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama. [212, 213,214] This ecoregion contains one of the most extensive mangrove complexes in Latin América. The mangroves play a critical role in stabilizing the shoreline and providing nursery areas for fish.
(176) Mexican Mangroves - Southern North America -Mexico [185,196,187,188,215,216,217,218] This ecoregion represents critical migratory and feeding area for seabirds and shorebirds. In addition gray whales find their breeding and calving grounds in these waters. The San Ignacio Lagoon is the northern most reach of mangroves in the Pacific and the last pristine lagoon in the area.
CORAL REEFS & ASSOCIATED MARINE ECOSYSTEMS
(189) Belize Barrier Reef - Belize, Honduras, Mexico With a length of 720 km., the Belize Barrier Reef is the second largest barrier reef in the world. Associated with the reef are extensive areas of relatively pristine coastal wetlands, lagoons, seagrass beds and mangrove forest.
COASTAL MARINE ECOSYSTEMS
(222) California Current - United States, Canada, Mexico Like all upwelling zones, the area off California and Oregon supports huge marine mammal, seabird and fish populations. The area is best known, however, for the extensive kelp forests and for the sea otters (Enhydra lutris). Some endemism in invertebrates and fishes. Highly diverse and productive upwelling ecosystems of the Northeastern Pacific Ocean. (not mapped for Mexico in 1997 map, but included in the 1999 WWF Annual Report Map)
(223) Sea of Cortez - México This was once an enormously rich region, with major nutrient influxes from the Colorado River. Highly productive subtropical sea with unusual endemism in vertebrates and invertebrates
Grand total for México of 13 out of the 232 Global 200 Ecorgegions = 5.6 %
SELECTED IMPORTANT STAGING, BREEDING, WINTERING & STEPPING- STONE SITES FOR LONG DISTANCE MIGRATORY
BIRDS AND BUTTERFLIES (Identified with the assistance of Birdlife International & Wetlands International)
N. X. Y.
Colorado Delta - Mexico Marismas Nacionales - Mexico Veracruz - México
Mexican Highlands Monarch Sites - Mexico Petén - Mexico, Guatemala, Belize