X hits on this document





122 / 150

  • 2005-09-01: SMOKEFREE: MT: Blackfeet Tribe Ban on Indoor Tobacco Use Goes into

Effect.: The Blackfeet Tribal Business Council approved the indoor tobacco-use ban in July 31. It bans all smoking and tobacco use in public places on the reservation. The two tribally owned bars and casinos and privately owned bars that get the majority of their income from drink sales are exempt until 2007. The ban is stricter than Montana's state ban, which takes effect Oct. 1.

  • 2005-09-01: TX: Austin smoking ban goes into effect, with exceptions. Voter-approved

ordinance, passed in May, bans smoking in bars, restaurants. Exempt are: licensed tobacco retailers, bingo parlors, nursing homes, and fraternal organizations. Also exempt are bars, restaurants and other businesses which did not apply for smoking permits prior to Nov. 2, 2004.

  • 2005-09-06: CONSUMPTION: National Survey on Drug Use and Health finds:

  • 70.3 million Americans were current users of a tobacco product in 2004. This is 29.2 percent

of the population aged 12 or older.

  • 59.9 million (24.9 percent) smoked cigarettes, 13.7 million (5.7 percent) smoked cigars, 7.2

million (3.0 percent) used smokeless tobacco, and 1.8 million (0.8 percent) smoked tobacco in pipes.

  • The rate of tobacco use declined between 2002 and 2004, from 30.4 to 29.2 percent, primarily

due to a decline in cigarette use from 26.0 to 24.9 percent. The rate of cigar use remained steady, but smokeless tobacco use dropped from 3.3 to 3.0 percent.

  • Young adults aged 18 to 25 continued to have the highest rate of past month cigarette use

    • (39.5

      percent). The rate did not change significantly between 2002 and 2004. The rate of

cigarette use among youths aged 12 to 17 declined from 13.0 percent in 2002 to 11.9 percent in 2004.

  • A higher proportion of males than females aged 12 or older smoked cigarettes in 2004 (27.7

vs. 22.3 percent). Among youths aged 12 to 17, however, girls (12.5 percent) were more likely than boys (11.3 percent) to smoke.

  • Based on 2003 and 2004 data combined, 18.0 percent of pregnant women aged 15 to 44

smoked cigarettes in the past month compared with 30.0 percent of women in that age group who were not pregnant. However, among those aged 15 to 17, this pattern did not hold. The rate of cigarette smoking among pregnant women aged 15 to 17 was 26.0 percent compared with

    • 19.6

      percent among nonpregnant women of that age (not a statistically significant difference).

      • In completely rural nonmetropolitan counties, current cigarette use among persons aged 12 or

older declined from 31.8 percent in 2002 to 22.8 percent in 2004.

  • Among the 93.4 million persons who had ever smoked cigarettes daily in their lifetime, nearly

half (46.2 percent) had stopped smoking in 2004; that is, they did not smoke at all in the past 30 days. The remaining 53.8 percent were still current smokers.

  • 2005-09-12: LITIGATION: DOJ Lawsuit: Judge Kessler's deadline for amicus filings. 8

different amicus briefs have been submitted on behalf of more than 50 outside entries.

  • 2005-09-19: TAXES: ME: Tax Hike goes into effect. Tax will be raised $1 to $2 per pack

  • 2005-09-29: LITIGATION: Supreme Court of Canada rules tobacco companies may be sued

for health care costs. The Court dismissed an appeal from a tobacco company and upheld the validity of British Columbia's Tobacco Damages And Health Care Costs Recovery Act.

  • 2005-09-30: CANADA: Fire-safe cigarette rules go into effect. "All cigarettes manufactured

or imported for sale in Canada must now meet the new national standard intended for ignition propensity which will reduce the risk of fire." http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2005/30/c6106.html

  • 2005-10-01: TAXES: NC: Tax due to rise 25 cents, to 30 cents a pack. South Carolina will

then have the lowest tax in the nation, 7 cents a pack.

  • 2005-10-01: SMOKEFREE: MT: Smoking ban goes into effect; ban exempts bars until 2009.

  • 2005-10-01: SMOKEFREE: KY: Georgetown smoking ban goes into effect.

  • 2005-10-13: CA: Tobacco licensing rules go into effect in Riverside County. Businesses that

sell tobacco must pay a $350 license each year. Proceeds will go to funding of "stings." Violations of any tobacco law could result in the revocation of a business' license. 122

Document info
Document views373
Page views374
Page last viewedFri Oct 21 11:48:52 UTC 2016