and the Dean of the Faculty.
In May 1991 Mrs. Margaret M. Bertrand, Canadian professor of the English language, founded a prize for the best student of the Faculty to be awarded annually at the graduation ceremony.
In the academic year 1992/93 the Faculty opened Bachelor studies in ‘Physiotherapy’ and ‘Medical Science’. A year later a new branch called ‘Public Medicare’ was introduced.
Since 1996/97 academic year the Faculty has been running according to a new curriculum of Medicine. This curriculum reflects new demands on the doctors of the
The instruction and training of the 3rd Faculty of Medicine takes place mainly in the Faculty Hospital Complex Kralovske Vinohrady in Prague 10 and the nearby State Medical Center. Pregraduate and post-graduate students of medicine as well as Bc.students also attend lectures and seminars at the Psychiatric Center in Bulovka Hospital and - from the March 27th , 2001 when a contract on cooperation was concluded with the Homolka Medical Center and the Institut of Mother and Child Care in Prague-Podoli - the instruction also takes place at these two locations.
Faculty Hospital Královské Vinohrady
The hospital in Prague 10 Vinohrady was opened separately on the 15th May 1902. After the acquisition of the public law in 1905 its official name was ‘General Public Hospital of the Emperor and King František Josef I. for the boroughs of Vinohrady and Žižkov’. The founding charter with the Emperor’s signature – by the way the only original signature in which the Emperor used his Czech name František – is still saved in the office of the director of the hospital. When opened, the hospital bedded 103, and later, when the department for infection diseases was built, 328 patients. The entire staff of the hospital at that time included: 2 senior consultants, 1 senior dissector, 4 registrars, 2 external physicians, 12 nurses, 27 maids, 1 manager, 3 clerks, 1 receptionist, 1 engineer, 2 heating mechanics, 1 attendant to the surgeon and the dissector, 1 tailor, 1 bricklayer, 1 supervisor, and 3 workmen.
During World War I, the hospital fell into dire straights financially thanks to its perpetual overflow of patients. This led to its being handed over into public service. Renamed as ‘General Public State Health Institution’ it became the only state hospital in the Czech Republic, and thus, at the times of the First Republic, could undergo extensive building boom and achieve some indeed pioneer changes. As early as this there existed close ties with the Faculty of Medicine, especially as for the habilitation of professors and docents at the Faculty, and vice versa fresh graduates could apply themselves at hospital work during their
first years of practice. Among the experts employed by the hospital then, there were for example: Prof. MUDr. Ivan Honl, who built the first therapeutic Pasteur Institution in our country, doc. MUDr. Ferdinand Tománek, the founder of the Department of Radium–Therapy, or Prof. MUDr. František Burian, who spread the fame of the Czech plastic surgery abroad in the mid–thirties. World–wide known surgeon Prof. MUDr. Emerich Polák worked in the hospital too, along with the famous ophthalmologist Prof. Josef Janků (M. Jankumi), and the internists Prof. Jiří Syllaba an Prof. Vratislav Jonáš who took their jobs up only after the War.
The post–war era marks the start of pedagogical activity of Vinohrady Hospital. In 1952 it became a faculty hospital, making substantial contribution to the instruction at lately established Faculty of Hygiene.
Clinics and departments at the hospital take responsibility for providing highly specialized aid and treatment to patients who come in particular from the neighboring area: Vinohrady, Žižkov, and Vršovice. In many cases, however, the hospital departments take care of the patients from the whole country, e.g. the Department of Burns, or the Department of Plastic Surgery.
The Faculty Hospital Královské Vinohrady has at its disposal a number of state–of–the–art facilities and above all outstanding theoretical and practical experts. Personnel and organization changes should secure more effective and professional services. Many physicians employed by the hospital are actually involved in pedagogic activity.