Bulovka Faculty Hospital
At the beginning of the twentieth century, Prague noted attempts at reorganization and modernization of general health care. Especially in the districts of Prague, where it was largely neglected, vital hospitals were being founded (Královské Vinohrady Hospital, Bulovka, Bohnice Psychiatric Center). on August 8th 1910, the City Council endorsed the project of a new modern hospital at Bulovka prepared by the city architect L. P. Procházka. Until 1896, there stood a small hospital at this place which operated as an infection center from its geographic inclusion into the city of Prague in 1903. The building of the first part (architect F. Velich) was commenced in 1913 and it was completed when the war flared up. The most needed and essential (in particular at the times of war) was the infection unit which, along with the infection section of Vinohrady Hospital, contributed immensely to the protection of Prague from virulent epidemics brought to the city by the passing armies. Subsequently scheduled building was interrupted by the war.
The whole project by architect Procházka was not taken up again until October 1925. The first phase was finished in the summer of 1931. This stage is closely linked to the name of the internal medicine specialist, Professor Kristián Hynek. Since running requirements were at the top of the agenda, these also determined the building schedule, which included three major departments: Non–Infection (in the internal and surgical section connected by an underground underpass), Infection (in a separate pavilion for everyday purposes detached from the rest of the hospital), and T.B. Section (likewise situated in its own building). The whole building complex also involved three buildings accommodating the staff. Just as was the case in Vinohrady, full–time professors from the Medical Faculty became department heads. (R. Foit, MD, J. Skládal, MD, Prof. Jedlička,
The second half of the 1930s marked another enlargement of the hospital. New Radiological and Dermatovenerological sections were built, as well a second Infection pavilion, the construction of which was concluded in 1940. The magnanimous project of Infection section, whose state–of–the–art concept may be attributed to Professor Jaroslav Procházka, gradually, after World War II, took under its wing the infection departments of all three Faculties.
In 1938, Bulovka berthed 1384 patients, running close to the largest hospital at Karlovo náměstí (1690) and leaving far behind Vinohrady Hospital Center with its 580 maximum.
During World War II, the hospital, like a number of other medical institutions, was taken over by the Germans. Professor Walter Dick headed the Surgery Department and, after an assassination attempt in a bent on a nearby road, operated, with his colleague J. A. Hohlbaum and experts invited over from Berlin, on Reich Protector Reinhard Heydrich.
Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Surgery and nurses' residence were not finished until recent decades. In the 90s, moreover, Bulovka accommodated a modern Pathology Department with a separate Infective Dissection Room.
The status of 'Faculty' was ascribed to the hospital in the 1950s and it functions as a clinical safe haven not only for Prague medical faculties but also for the Institute of Post–Graduate Studies in Medicine. Currently, the 3rd Faculty of Medicine accommodates two most important departments in the Bulovka complex – the Department of Infectious Diseases, and the Department of Pneumology and Chest Surgery (founded on the bases of what was originally the Department of Pulmonary Diseases).
The State Institute of Health
The State Institute of Health was financed by the Czech Republic and the International Rockefeller Foundation in New York. The institute was unveiled with jubilation in 1925. The founding charter was signed by
president T. G. Masaryk.
According to the law No. 218 of the Code the Institution was to execute expert tasks for the State Department of Health, execute investigations necessary for the