above all, surgical treatment to patients with ill, malfunctioning or injured nerve system. It also include the treatment of locomotory functions.
Cardiovascular Program ensures complex diagnostics and conservative treatment of the diseases of cardiovascular system and, in particular, surgical treatment of vascular diseases - primarily the narrowing or clotting of arteries as a result of aterosclerotic changes in organism - including radiological intervention methods.
General Medicare Program incorporates medical care focus on the area of internal medicine and general surgery with some specialized applications in the field of gynecology, orthopaedics and urology. Services of general focus boast support of a large medical center of over sixty specialized surgeries/offices complemented by a laboratory.
Laboratory complementing the medical center contains radiodiagnostics department, department of nuclear medicine, department of clinical biochemistry, hematology and immunology, department of clinical microbiology, department of pathology and central sterilization and hygiene unit. Since Fall 1999, the Nuclear Medicine Department is complemented by Positron Emission Tomograf (PET), which offers monitoring and evaluation of metabolic activity of the cells of human organism.
Homolka Center hospitalizes 330 patients today (instead of the original capacity of 190), 10 operating theatres (instead of the original 3), employs 1 370 employees - 201 doctors of medicine, and 680 nurses. Annualy, it hospitalizes over 14 000, out of which ca. 11 000 are operated, and it offers over 670 000 medical examinations. Average treatment period is 7 days.
Institute of Mother and Child Care in Praha - Podolí
In 1909 an outstanding Czech surgeon and X-ray specialist Prof. Rudolf Jedlicka made up his mind to lay the foundations of a representative Czech medical center which would provide safe haven for foremost Czech medical experts in nearly all medical fields with perhaps one sole exception of psychiatry. This medical center was modeled on similar state-of-the-art European institutes. The final realization of this project was consigned to Prof. Rud. Krizenecky while Prof.Jedlicka remained behind the whole project as its author and manager. The whole building complex of the medical center under Vysehrad was build in less than four years and was opened for public on June 28th, 1914.
During World War I, a part of the medical center was handed over to the Red Cross and became a temporary military hospital. During World War II, the entire medical center was confiscated and transformed into a war hospital for the SS troops. In the course of Prague uprising in May 1945 the building was damaged by heavy artillery, nonetheless it served as a repatriation hospital for TB suffering inmates liberated from Nazi concentration camps.
The Government Act of December 20th, 1946, the Prague medical center was expropriated and nationalized. The Ministry of Education and Enlightment, which had appropriated the building, decided that
the building be reconstructed and made into a modern clinic which would take care of mother-and-child health. January 23rd, 1948, the same Ministry issued a regulation assigning the building to the 3rd Obstetrics and Gyneacology Clinic headed by Prof. Jiří Trapl and the Clinic of Nursing, founded by Prof. Josef Švejcar and Prof. Jiří Blecha with the management being presided by doc. Kamil Kubát.
As if by placing the two clinics under one roof (which was inspired by their common goals and fields of interest) a new development was foregrounded - the development characterized by a new attitude to the mother-and-child care. The Nursing Clinic was to focus on the basics of child caretaking and nursing. Here, the first steps were taken towards greater cooperation between the paediatrician and the labor surgeon in neonatal period. It was also here that the demand was made to extend this cooperation on to prenatal period in the organizational, clinical and research areas.
Nonetheless, the institute did not suffice, because questions of grave import with national magnitude and consequence - not only optimal repreoduction of the population but also the quality of population - had to be solved in a complex, systematic and planned manner, with perspective and on solid scientific ground. March 1st 1951, the