Native Vegetation: An Update
Native Vegetation Advisory Council;
Water Advisory Council;
State Wetland Advisory Committee;
State Weir Review Committee;
Advisory Council on Fisheries Conservation;
Fisheries Resource Conservation and Assessment Council.
In February 2006 the State Government adopted all the natural resource management state- wide targets as proposed by the Commission. Seven ‘macro environmental’ targets were developed that deal with: biodiversity; water; land; and community. In addition, a further six ‘specific-priority’ targets were developed that provide additional guidance on where, how or why to focus natural resource management investment. The targets are presented in table 3.
Table 3: State-wide Targets for Natural Resource Management
1. By 2015 there is an increase in native vegetation extent and an improvement in native vegetation condition.
2. By 2015 there is an increase in the number of sustainable populations of a range of native fauna species.
3. By 2015 there is an increase in the recovery of threatened species, populations and ecological communities.
4. By 2015 there is a reduction in the impact of invasive species. Water
By 2015 there is an improvement in the condition of riverine ecosystems.
By 2015 there is an improvement in the ability of groundwater systems to
support groundwater dependent ecosystems and designated beneficial uses.
By 2015 there is no decline in the condition of marine waters and ecosystems.
By 2015 there is an improvement in the condition of important wetlands,
and the extent of those wetlands is maintained.
Macro- Environmental Specific Priorities
9. By 2015 there is an improvement in the condition of estuaries and coastal lake ecosystems.
By 2015 there is an improvement in soil condition.
By 2015 there is an increase in the area of land that is managed within its
12. Natural resource decisions contribute to improving or maintaining economic sustainability and social well-being.
13. There is an increase in the capacity of natural resource managers to contribute to regionally relevant natural resource management.
Source: Natural Resources Commission, Fact Sheet. State-wide targets for natural resource management. February 2006. See website: http://www.nrc.nsw.gov.au. Accessed February 2006.