St. Publius’ Church
The Floriana parish church is dedicated to St. Publius and is situated in the centre of the town, overlooking the granaries. Work on the current church started in 1733 and the church was extended through the years as the population grew. The church was consacrated in 1792 and it was given the status of a parish in 1844. The church houses a painting started by Favray and continued by his student Fillippo Vincenzo Pace, depicting the martyrdom of St. Publius. Also of interest, are the titular statue of St. Publius dating back to 1811 and various ceiling paintings depicting instances from the shipwreck of St. Paul and his stay on the island.