X hits on this document





8 / 13

Form W-4 (2008)

Purpose. Complete Form W-4 so that your employer can withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay. Consider completing a new Form W-4 each year and when your personal or financial situation changes.

Exemption from withholding. If you are exempt, complete only lines 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 and sign the form to validate it. Your exemption for 2008 expires February 16, 2009. See Pub. 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.

Note. You cannot claim exemption from withholding if (a) your income exceeds $900 and includes more than $300 of unearned income (for example, interest and dividends) and (b) another person can claim you as a dependent on their tax return.

Basic instructions. If you are not exempt, complete the Personal Allowances Worksheet below. The worksheets on page 2 adjust your withholding allowances based on itemized deductions, certain credits,

adjustments to income, or two-earner/multiple job situations. Complete all worksheets that apply. However, you may claim fewer (or zero) allowances.

Head of household. Generally, you may claim head of household filing status on your tax return only if you are unmarried and pay more than 50% of the costs of keeping up a home for yourself and your dependent(s) or other qualifying individuals. See Pub. 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information, for information.

Tax credits. You can take projected tax credits into account in figuring your allowable number of withholding allowances. Credits for child or dependent care expenses and the child tax credit may be claimed using the Personal Allowances Worksheet below. See Pub. 919, How Do I Adjust My Tax Withholding, for information on converting your other credits into withholding allowances.

Nonwage income. If you have a large amount of nonwage income, such as interest or dividends, consider making estimated tax

payments using Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals. Otherwise, you may owe additional tax. If you have pension or annuity income, see Pub. 919 to find out if you should adjust your withholding on Form W-4 or W-4P.

Two earners or multiple jobs. If you have a working spouse or more than one job, figure the total number of allowances you are entitled to claim on all jobs using worksheets from only one Form W-4. Your withholding usually will be most accurate when all allowances are claimed on the Form W-4 for the highest paying job and zero allowances are claimed on the others. See Pub. 919 for details.

Nonresident alien. If you are a nonresident alien, see the Instructions for Form 8233 before completing this Form W-4.

Check your withholding. After your Form W-4 takes effect, use Pub. 919 to see how the dollar amount you are having withheld compares to your projected total tax for 2008. See Pub. 919, especially if your earnings exceed $130,000 (Single) or $180,000 (Married).

Personal Allowances Worksheet (Keep for your records.)



Enter “1” if: $ Enter “1” for yourself if no one else can claim you as a dependent You are single and have only one job; or You are married, have only one job, and your spouse does not work; or Your wages from a second job or your spouse’s wages (or the total of both) are $1,500 or less.





Enter “1” for your spouse. But, you may choose to enter “-0-” if you are married and have either a working spouse or more than one job. (Entering “-0-” may help you avoid having too little tax withheld.)


Enter number of dependents (other than your spouse or yourself) you will claim on your tax return Enter “1” if you will file as head of household on your tax return (see conditions under Head of household above) Enter “1” if you have at least $1,500 of child or dependent care expenses for which you plan to claim a credit (Note. Do not include child support payments. See Pub. 503, Child and Dependent Care Expenses, for details.)


Child Tax Credit (including additional child tax credit). See Pub. 972, Child Tax Credit, for more information. If your total income will be less than $58,000 ($86,000 if married), enter “2” for each eligible child. If your total income will be between $58,000 and $84,000 ($86,000 and $119,000 if married), enter “1” for each eligible


For accuracy, complete all worksheets that apply.


  • If you plan to itemize or claim adjustments to income and want to reduce your withholding, see the Deductions and Adjustments Worksheet on page 2.

  • If you have more than one job or are married and you and your spouse both work and the combined earnings from all jobs exceed $40,000 ($25,000 if married), see the Two-Earners/Multiple Jobs Worksheet on page 2 to avoid having too little tax withheld.

  • If neither of the above situations applies, stop here and enter the number from line H on line 5 of Form W-4 below.



child plus “1” additional if you have 4 or more eligible children.

H Add lines A through G and enter total here. (Note. This may be different from the number of exemptions you claim on your tax return.)


Cut here and give Form W-4 to your employer. Keep the top part for your records.



Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service

Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate

© Whether you are entitled to claim a certain number of allowances or exemption from withholding is subject to review by the IRS. Your employer may be required to send a copy of this form to the IRS.

OMB No. 1545-0074



Type or print your first name and middle initial.

Last name


Your social security number

Home address (number and street or rural route)




Married, but withhold at higher Single rate.

Note. If married, but legally separated, or spouse is a nonresident alien, check the “Single” box.

City or town, state, and ZIP code

4 If your last name differs from that shown on your social security card,

© check here. You must call 1-800-772-1213 for a replacement card.

5 6 7

Total number of allowances you are claiming (from line H above or from the applicable worksheet on page 2) Additional amount, if any, you want withheld from each paycheck

5 6

I claim exemption from withholding for 2008, and I certify that I meet both of the following conditions for exemption.

  • Last year I had a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld because I had no tax liability and

  • This year I expect a refund of all federal income tax withheld because I expect to have no tax liability.


If you meet both conditions, write “Exempt” here



Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this certificate and to the best of my knowledge and belief, it is true, correct, and complete. Employee’s signature (Form is not valid

© unless you sign it.)

© Date


Employer’s name and address (Employer: Complete lines 8 and 10 only if sending to the IRS.)

9 Office code (optional) 10

Employer identification number (EIN)

For Privacy Act and Paperwork Reduction Act Notice, see page 2.

Cat. No. 10220Q

Form W-4 (2008)

Document info
Document views69
Page views69
Page last viewedSun Jan 22 15:33:09 UTC 2017