X hits on this document





3 / 8


  • The power to set or change a zone lies with the Village Board of Trustees or Town Board (Legislative Body) of each municipality.

  • Each municipality has a Zoning Board of Appeals (Zoning Board) to which any property owner can apply for relief from the restrictions established by the zoning legislation. The Zoning Board is an independent body, not governed by the Legislative Body.

  • Building applications are made through the municipality's Building Department.

    • o

      If they are denied for not conforming to zone requirements, then an appeal can be filed.

  • An application for a change of zone is made to the Legislative Body.

  • Some of the present land uses that define certain areas of the Port Washington Peninsula are grandfathered uses and no longer permitted.

      • o

        For example, Main Street is zoned under the Town of North Hempstead for commercial use only, but has many mixed-use buildings (shops with apartments) that are grandfathered uses.

  • Spot zoning, which is illegal, is a change of zone for a limited area that typically does not conform to surrounding uses.

  • The majority of the peninsula is zoned for some type of residential.

      • o

        Zoning rules that govern development on the Peninsula are complex and diverse.

      • o

        Overall, there are a number of land uses within the Port Washington Peninsula and subsequently a variety of zoning categories within each village and the Town.

      • o

        In addition, zoning regulations vary from village to village to Town.

The following table is provided as a reference tool for this evening’s discussion. It is not a complete summary of all zoning regulations in effect on the Port Washington Peninsula.

April Brown Lake (516) 627-4062 www.northhempstead.com pwvisioning@northhempstead.com

Page 3

Document info
Document views36
Page views36
Page last viewedSun Jan 22 10:11:07 UTC 2017