Jones College Prep World Language Course Progressions
Placement exams will be given for any student with prior language experience
WORLD LANGUAGE DEPARTMENT POLICY
1. All students with prior language experience who intend to begin their World Language graduation requirement will be responsible for taking a placement test during the previous school year in order to determine their level of competence in the language.
3. Students who do not take the placement exam and have prior knowledge of the language will be placed in the first level of the language, and will not be eligible to change levels until the following year when placement tests are given.
It is strongly recommended that all first year language students not be placed above the third level of a language.
It is strongly recommended that students not switch languages before they have completed their two‐year graduation
requirement. If they would like to learn another language, they may enroll in the other language concurrently.
Students will not be permitted to switch levels or languages based on teacher preference.
If a student fails a semester of a language, it is strongly recommended that they make up that semester in summer school or
night school prior to moving on to the next level.
8. It is strongly recommended that students not be placed into an AP World Language Course without taking at least one year of language at Jones.
9. Students may be enrolled in multiple AP courses within the World Language Department; however, it is strongly recommended that AP Spanish students take AP Spanish Language the year before they take AP Spanish Literature.
10. All discussion of placement and level changes should begin with the language teacher. No level changes or drops will be made without the permission of the student’s teacher and the World Language Department Chair.