X hits on this document

Word document

Veterans Benefits AdministrationM21-1, Part III - page 12 / 71





12 / 71

February 25, 2005M21-1, Part III

                                                                                                                                                        Change 131

(6)  Medical evidence from hospitals, clinics and private physicians by which or by whom a veteran may have been treated, especially soon after separation.

(7)  Letters written during service.

(8)  Photographs taken during service.

(9)  Pharmacy prescription records.

(10)  Insurance examinations.

d.  Pay Grade for DIC.  See the procedures set forth in paragraph 2.14c with respect to development in DIC cases in those cases in which pay grade is an issue.  If the pay grade is of record on official documents, use it for award action subject to later certification, if necessary, by the Secretary of the service department concerned.  See Addendum A for address codes for pay grade information.

e.  Prior VA Claim.  If there is any indication that a claim for VA benefits has been previously filed, use BIRLS to the fullest extent in an effort to locate the veteran's records.  Other VA records available to regional offices include:

(1)  Station monthly microfilm pay tape.

(2)  Philadelphia VA Regional Office and Insurance Center insurance index files.

(3)  VISTA at the medical center which services the veteran’s place of residence.

f.  Dependents' Records

(1)  Medical treatment records created by service departments for treatment rendered to military dependents may be difficult to locate.  Records for dependents follow them from duty station to duty station.  If the dependent doesn't receive treatment for three years, the records are retired even though the parent or spouse may still be in service in the same place.  They are retired to National Personnel Records Center (NPRC).  Records are sent to address code 75 (NPRC-CPR) for dependents of Army and Air Force servicemembers and for dependents of Navy and Marine Corps servicemembers who were treated at Army and Air Force facilities.  Records of dependents of Navy and Marine Corps servicemembers treated at Navy or Marine Corps facilities are retired to address code 13 (NPRC-MPR).

(2)  Dependents’ inpatient and outpatient medical records are requested when the veteran alleges treatment for a condition that is related to his/her claim for a service-connected illness or injury.

(3) Use C03 to request dependents’ inpatient medical records and C04 to request dependents’ outpatient medical records.  The request must include the illness or injury for which treatment was administered, the name of the sponsor, the sponsor’s Social Security Number, and the veteran’s relationship to the sponsor.  If treated as an inpatient, the claimant must provide the year(s) of treatment and the full name of the last facility at which treated. If treated as an outpatient, the claimant must provide the last year of treatment and the full name of the last facility at which treated. Occasionally, NPRC may request additional information which must be supplied before it can conduct further searches.

g.  Servicepersons Married to Each Other.  Servicepersons married to one another will each have individual military medical records under their own SSN.  If one is separated from active duty, the service medical records (SMRs) for that individual will be transferred to the VA Records Management Center (RMC).  Records may then be created with that individual as a dependent of the remaining serviceperson.  If so, request those records as described in subparagraph f(2).


Document info
Document views307
Page views307
Page last viewedSun Jan 22 18:49:18 UTC 2017