X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 10 / 182





10 / 182

so that I took the cattle and herded them through the winter. Notwithstanding my faithfulness, Father Fuller would not let me have leather enough to patch my shoes so I made moccasins of rawhide to keep my feet from the ground and from the snow. Thus passed the winter of 1846-47.

In the spring we were all called away from this place to the Bluffs. We arrived there sometime in the month of May at what was called Brigham’s Farm. Here we stopped, that is Father Fuller and family. I had no team myself so stopped with him. Thomas Fuller and myself took the old gentleman’s teams and went to work. Put in a big crop of corn. There were forty families at this place and we worked very hard thinking that we should be able to get each of us a team in the spring so that we could go to the mountains without being dependent on Father Fuller as we had heretofore been. We were to give him half that we raised for the use of the teams and plows.

This place became very sickly. Thomas, my wife, Father, Min, Sanford, and myself were taken sick in the latter part of July. Thomas died on the third of August. Hannah, my wife on the 10th, and Father on the 17th, and I was very sick so much so that I could not sit up but a few minutes when Hannah died. Thus this was a day of trouble. I had buried the companion of my youth and was near leaving this world myself. I got a man to take me to Winter Quarters to my sister Adeline. She took good care of me. I stayed with her three weeks. [Adeline was thirteen years and unmarried. How did they manage?] Then got a man to take me over the Missouri River to Brother Job Barnum. They treated me as kind as if I were their child. My wife’s sister lived here. She was the wife of Guy Barnum. Miranda was her name. Here I lay sick for two months. Which made three months in all when I began to get better. My brothers Jeremiah and Abram (Abraham) and (youngest)

The first day out, I was taken sick with chills and fever but we went on our way. I got very bad and we put up at a tavern until I got better. We got Savanna, here we found our brother Jeremiah. He had been keeping school and had got done with the school and had gone to work for Dr. Richards, a tavern keeper. He gave me his place and went on with Abram to Jimtown. I worked for this tavern man for nine days at fifty cents a day, then I went on to find my brothers at Jimtown.

We then started for Western. I was taken sick again and was very sick. Some of my friends advised me to go back to the Bluffs. But I told them that I was going to work and get means to take me to the Valley or die trying. We went on and put up at a man’s by the name of Hawkins. My brothers, Jerry and Abram, went on to Western and took a school They left the team with me. I went and got a load of corn; and when I was well, I hauled up some wood for the man with whom I stopped. Then I went above the town of Western about one and a half miles and hired my board with a man by the name

of Smith Humphrey. He was a Mormon and they treated me as kind as if I was their child.

I bought some wood and went to hauling it and did good business. The people found out that Jeremiah was a Mormon, so wouldn’t, go to his school. They (my brothers) soon came and went to work for the man from whom I got work. They chopped and I hauled and sold. I bought me a yoke of steers and put them on with Abram’s and they made us a good team. We followed this business for a month and did well at it.


Jerry’s family was at the Bluffs. We left Abram here and started for the Bluffs. He found all well and I went up to the farm and sold my corn, paid my tithing, left the cattle (oxen--two yoke of) with Jerry and went back to Western where I found Abram. He was doing well. We again went to work together. We took large contracts cutting wood, which we followed through the summer. After finishing this job, we went to St. Louis working our way on the boat down to the City. We were used very rough. I hired my passage back to Western again but Abram continued on the River. In company with Everett List, I went on to an Island across from Western and cut a large cottonwood tree, which made two large saw logs. I took some of the bark and tied it together and we had a canoe. Everett walked along the river bank and I got onto the logs to take them down stream until we got to the canoe. It was about one mile that he said he would walk. I got me a place on the logs in the stream; however, I hadn’t gone far till one end of my logs (which were tied together) swung around and caught against a snag and pulled the bark off and that let the logs swing apart. That left me on one log which soon turned over and I went under. My cap came off.

Nearly drowned in river

I made my best endeavors to get on shore but the water ran so swift that I went down stream. By good fortune a dry stick got under me. I had many reflections. I believed that I should be saved and live many years. I went down stream about a half mile and the stick kept under me, which kept me from sinking. Just, before I reached a snag, which was sticking up out of the water, the stick got away from me, and with some difficulty I was able to reach this snag and remained upon it until Everett brought the canoe and took me to shore. Thus, I was preserved from a watery grave, for which I feel to praise my Heavenly Father.

After this I worked for a man by the name of Foster for one and a half months and then for Major Cockren and continued with him through the winter. I had charge of his large pork establishment in receiving wood and rendering lard. (Winter 1848-49) I worked through the day and then half of the night. He gave me $1.85 per day. -

In the winter I returned to the Bluffs and made a short visit, then back to Western with the intention of settling


Document info
Document views856
Page views856
Page last viewedTue Jan 17 04:54:43 UTC 2017