X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 105 / 182





105 / 182

I worked very hard to prepare for April Conference (in Salt Lake City). Put in twenty-five acres of wheat. 25 March, left home at 3:00 A.M. Burt took me to Holbrook. Our company (going to conference) consisted of thirty-eight. President Jesse N. Smith and wife, two High Counselors, three bishops were amongst us. Arrived at Albuquerque at 11:00 P.M. and passed on to a place called Springer where we met a carload of Saints from Old Mexico. Had to stop for nine hours because of a wreck and we had a pleasant visit with old, and tired friends at this place. We had the privilege of hearing a song, “O, Ye Mountains High,” reproduced on an instrument, a phonograph. Near the beautiful city of 15,000 inhabitants, Colorado Springs, we held a meeting on 3 April, in the tops of the mountains. Several spoke on the prophecies of the holy prophets in reference to the House of the Lord. This meeting was under peculiar circumstances, the train being in fast motion. I occupied some of the time.

Arrived in Salt Lake City. Met my brother Jeremiah. Went to St. Mary’s hospital to see his son Alva who had one of his hands poisoned and had a finger taken off. Went to Priesthood meeting at night. Attended conference Wednesday, April 5.

Dedication of Temple

Salt Lake City, Utah--6 April, 1893

This short account is copied from a pocket sized memorandum. The book is 7 1/2 x 3 1/4 x 1/4 inches, black leatherette binding and pages are mostly blank. There are a few entries of money loaned, earned or collected. Some accounts of farm produce, etc. Follows some seven of these small pages as they were written by L. H. Hatch.]

Conference Items:

Our company of saints, consisting of thirty eight persons, left Holbrook, [Arizona by train] on April 1, at half past 1:00 P.M. and arrived at Albuquerque and passed on to a place called Springer where we found a company of Saints from Mexico. Stopped there because of a wreck of eleven cars which prevented our progress. We laid up and visited with the brethren from Mexico.

Our delay was nine hours. During this stay we went and heard a song of Brother Gardner and Sister Tenney, “O, Zion,” reproduced on the phonograph. We passed on at about 3:00 P.M. and got to LaJunta, Colorado, and by 5:00 A.M. found ourselves at the beautiful city of Colorado Springs, number of inhabitants 15,000.

We arrived in (Salt Lake City) on April 4, and attended three meetings. A permit was given me and on the 6th, I went in the temple twice and up to Tuesday, had gone in six times. Hyrum started north on this day. Ruth, Lorin and Fayette went into the temple. I brought in Brother Pearce on Tuesday and on Wednesday, the 8th, I went through twice. I attended thirteen times at the

dedication. Wednesday was the greatest of all the days. The spirit of God was poured out with great power. President Jesse N. Smith and myself bore testimony. Upwards of a hundred spoke.

Thursday was fast day and we formed a circle of 115 of the presiding priesthood of all the Church, and at 4:00 P.M. we partook of the sacrament. Truly this was a great day. J. N. Smith left for home (in Arizona) on the 9:45 train and on Friday, I went and saw my brother Abram and he gave me $2.50. Took the train for Logan and found all well after an absence of three and a half years.

I visited Vena. She has rheumatics. On Sunday, I gave three blessings to grandchildren and spoke at meeting. On Saturday, I got H. E. Hatch’s buggy and went and saw Celia. Elizabeth went with me. On Sunday, Brother Ezra Carpenter fell dead at Lewiston. This day was very stormy. Tuesday, I attended a family gathering. Wednesday, I fitted up my things to start and on Thursday, April 27, I left Logan with Ruth and Elizabeth at 7:00 A.M. and arrived at 11:00 A.M. The girl went to Hadley Johnson’s and we left at 11:00 P.M. but were soon delayed because of two wrecks, throwing us back twenty-four hours. We were laid up at LaJunta Colorado all night making three nights in all. Arrived at Holbrook May 1, and then came on to Woodruff. A surprise was got up for us at William Daines’.

Thursday was fast meeting. Sunday, I spoke. A big rain came on Thursday, May 11. It lasted two days and on Saturday a tremendous flood came down and I was on my knees for a long time praying for our safety from loss of dam.

Sunday, 14th

Bela Gardner, Brothers Deans and DeWitt spoke. While in the North, I visited Lehi, drove to Provo, and Spanish Fork, Nephi and Fort Ephraim and on Saturday, April 14, drove to Manti and gave four blessings. Sunday, went to Church and on Monday, drove to Salina. Saw Hans Jenson.

Continuation of 1890-1900 Journal

April 6, 1893

Thursday, was the great day of days. The dedication of the temple at which time all the presiding men were present including bishops and counselors. I fasted and was much blessed by the power of God in listening and reflecting upon this great and glorious building. The prayer and services cannot be described. I asked for many things that I thought would be a blessing to me and mine in this most holy building.

I went also at 1:00 P. M. President Woodruff read the prayer. His appearance was most beautiful. His voice clear and distinct as forty years ago. Hyrum arrived from Franklin with a span of pinto horses and we went to Taylorsville and stayed all night with Hyrum Bennion. Returned to City and I gave some


Document info
Document views914
Page views914
Page last viewedThu Jan 19 11:50:54 UTC 2017