X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 113 / 182





113 / 182

turnout; after which, I drove to Logan leaving Celia at Hyde Park. On Monday, went to temple and gave a blessing to the door keeper, after which, I went and administered to Alvenia’s little babe.

November 14

(Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday in temple.) I gave three blessings. Got half fare ticket to Salt Lake City. Letter from Nettie Shumway told of the death of Joseph, son of Mosiah Hancock. This young man was thrown from a horse. I wrote to the Presidency asking for assistance for President Jesse N. Smith. Helped cut down some shade trees and Fayette fell one onto the fence and broke one of the railings. I gave a patriarchal blessing to a sister from Mendon. She was a Scott girl.

Saturday, 17th

Left Logan bound for Salina. Arrived on Sunday and after settling with Brother Jenson for care of my team, gave him $10.00, got my team and prepared to return to Logan. I drove to Gunnison, and got dinner with Bishop Madison and went to meeting. Found Kanute Peterson and his dear wife, Sarah. I occupied the time and had good liberty. Gave two blessings the next morning. At Levan, I stopped at Andrew Hendrickson’s. Was well cared for and learned much from this Norwegian. He is well posted on religion and on politics. Got two shoes put on Doll at Santaquin and at Spanish Fork took dinner with my niece, daughter of Sanford Fuller. She married a man by the name of Perry Thomas. Went and saw Brother Fuller and his strawberry patch. Last summer he gathered 4000 quarts of berries from this patch.

Drove to Provo and stopped with Brother Samuel Thurman. Margaret Thurman was sixteen years old on the 23rd, and a large company of young folks came in and spent the evening. Drove to Lehi and on to Salt Lake City. Wednesday, stopped at Wellsville and gave five blessings. Was treated to a good dinner by a stranger by the name of Gibbs. This was Thanksgiving Day and I arrived at Logan, 5:00 P.M. and found that Catherine had arrived. She had been here two days. She took three days from Holbrook. Took Catherine to Hyde Park. Saturday, worked with John Woolf on Celia’s house putting on new weather boards. Sunday, I spoke at meeting. Brother Benjamin Hymas spoke after me. He bore testimony in great humility. He testified to a prophecy that I gave in reference to him over twenty-five years ago. I said that he would become a bishop, which has been fulfilled. Monday, worked on Celia’s house, and on Tuesday, finished it up as well as I could with the material I had. I then drove to Logan; Catherine accompanied me. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, worked in temple. First snow of the season fell all night of December 6. Drove to Franklin on Saturday, the 8th. Found all well and glad to see me.

L. H. Hatch line of priesthood authority

Sunday, December 9

Drove to Lewiston. Was requested to ordain an Elder, William Blair.

I was ordained a High Priest by John Murdock. Brother Murdock was ordained by the Prophet Joseph Smith who was ordained by Peter, James and John. I was ordained a Priest in 1843 and a Seventy in 1844 by Joseph Young.

It snowed heavily and I stayed all night at Lewiston with Hyrum Karren. Gave three blessings to Pennina, Lydia, and Vira, the Karren girls. Monday, blessed Thomas Sylvester and Fredrick Karren. During the week, drove to Franklin and set three posts for Clarey’s shed, sold a yearling heifer for $8.00. Got dinner with Clarey and drove to Logan. It was very cold but got to Vena’s at 5:00 P.M. (Worked in temple next three days.) Thursday, fasted. Bought sugar, twenty pounds for a dollar. Attended Seventies meeting. B, H. Roberts was the instructor. Saturday, worked for Georgia fixing a flour box. Visited Sister S. B. Young who was up from Salt Lake City.

Sunday, 23rd

Bishop Hyde sent a sled for me at 2:00 P.M. Ruth and Lula went with me. We had a good meeting. I spoke on Word of Wisdom, tithing and offerings for the poor. On Monday was called to bless John Phillips wife who was very sick.

December 25

Christmas Day. Spent most of the day at Sylvia’s with Ruth, Loren and Lula. On the 26th, commenced writing a biography of my life, also wrote on the 27th. This was three years since the death of dear Alice. Put in three thresholds for Sister Thatcher. On Saturday, I paid seventy-five cents to the shoemaker for fixing my shoes, went to the bank and wrote letters. Saw my sister Adeline. She gave me some dates of my ancestors. [A full page of genealogical data. It all appears in “Hatch Genealogy” by Ruth Hatch Hale. Hence omitted here.]

December 31 Ruth’s birthday and Wilford too. Ruth is thirty-five and Wilford sixteen years.

New Years--1895

Tuesday, January 1, 1895

We met at Sylvia’s for New Year’s dinner. H. E. Hatch and wife, T. Smart and wife, my sister Adeline, Catherine and myself made up the company. Ruth and Lula were the principal cooks. Lorin was the cashier. We had a grand time, Adeline hurt her foot. I anointed her. She was all right. During the week, Lula went to the temple with me and was baptized for fourteen of her relatives. Worked in temple three days. Walked to Main Street after leaving temple on Friday and found my sons, L. L. and Hyrum, Clarey, Annie and Celia who had come to celebrate my sixty-ninth birthday. H. E. and Georgia had prepared a fine feast for me and the company who came to celebrate.


Document info
Document views1008
Page views1008
Page last viewedTue Jan 24 01:24:09 UTC 2017