X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 116 / 182





116 / 182

Time came to leave Vermont for Nauvoo in August, 1842. My father was well fitted out with six horses and two good wagons. We traveled in a company of fifty-two souls. Traveled 1500 miles with wagons and teams, camping by the way and preaching and bearing testimony by the way. My father was wealthy for those times and place. We had a cook to care for us but oh how we missed our dear mother.

(Nauvoo) My father bought a farm of the Prophet Joseph and built him a brick house on Mulholland Street. It was 25 June, 1843, that he took sick and died. President Brigham Young preached his funeral sermon.

Our grandmother and grandfather had come with us and my father died at his house, but we were with the Saints. Great persecutions had been renewed against the Church and the Prophet Joseph. Our property was administered by my Uncle Jeremiah and our personal property sold, which left us in want. Apostates got away with our property.

I was ordained a Priest in the winter of 1843 or 4 and visited in that capacity in the City of Nauvoo. Got a patriarchal blessing from Hyrum Smith, winter of 1844. Volunteered at the April conference to go to my native state of Vermont on a mission to advocate the views of the Prophet Joseph on the power and policy of the United States.

I was ordained a Seventy by Joseph Young about 15 April, 1844, and traveled with Elder Thomas E. Fuller. We had many difficulties to meet as we traveled on foot a large portion of the way, preaching wherever we could get a chance and reading the views of the Prophet to many people. I worked for twenty-five cents a day to get my fitout for this mission.

I received my endowments at Nauvoo the last day that the temple was open. It was dismantled that day. Hannah, my wife to be, received her endowments also. But we had to go to Bishop Jonathan Hale’s to get married.

I crossed the river on the ice with my father-in-law, E. M. Fuller. I was placed in Bishop George Miller’s Company and with that company helped to build every bridge to the Missouri River. I herded cattle during that winter (early 1847) about 150 miles above Winter Quarters. I have seen my fellow herd boys eat wolves and crows in the excess of their hunger in that spring of 1847.

February 27, 1851 [1895 (written in)]

I married Sylvia Savona Eastman and about this time, I with my brother Abram had gone and took up a piece of land at Lehi. We left Salt Lake--all of us, with my sisters--and located at Dry Creek. We entered into a partnership with Nathan W. Packer to build a grist mill at the mouth of American Fork canyon. Abram and I took one half and Brother Packer the other half. We got the mill built and it was doing fine business for a few months. The bins were full of flour when in the month

of February it burned down and we were again poor boys. I felt if it had not been for my dear wife and baby boy, Lorenzo Lafayette--born on Christmas morning at 8:00 A.M., I could not again have proposed to go ahead.

President Willard Richards advised us to rebuild and we took hold of this labor and again started the mill which was a great blessing to the people as this was the first grist mill in Utah County.

Indian difficulties broke out. We built a wall around Lehi and put up gates but the work was never finished.

[During his mission in England] I was called to baptize the Saints in the Sheffield, Bradford, Lincolnshire, and Hull conferences, during the reformation. The spirit of reformation had come from Zion and I had the charge of these conferences as the pastor. I was instrumental in baptizing many new members amongst whom was Charles Fox, who died at Franklin, also John Cutler, the father of Bishop Cutler of Lehi.

October 20, 1858, [while Johnston Army was at Camp Floyd, west of Lehi], I was sent by the Mayor of the city to get the soldiers to stop trespassing on our rights as they turned their horses in our fields. The officer [we contacted] was very abusive. Then on Thursday 21, I was sent with Preston Thomas to see General Johnston. The General treated us kindly and said we should be protected and the government stock kept out of the Lehi fields. This makes the second time that I had been sent to treat with General Sydney Johnston.

January 21, 1859, I had a remarkable dream concerning this army. I saw that they were determined to destroy the Saints. But I saw a shield that turned away every blow that was aimed at the priesthood. And I heard a voice saying that the gallows prepared for Mordicai, and that Haman, the soldier, should hang upon it. In the morning I arose and asked Mother Eastman if she could tell me where such a passage in the Bible could be found and she quoted the words as I had heard them in my dream. So I was confident that they would fall by the same weapons as they had prepared for the Saints.

Sydney Johnston, the General, was killed by a cannon ball in the war of the rebellion against the United States. This occurred 6 April, a few years after many of his army had been hewn down in battle as had been shown to me.

February, 1859, I went to Provo as a juryman for the great Cradelbow Court. The judge was very bitter. He spoke against President Brigham Young and a higher law that he called “the one man power.” It was 4 April, 1859, that Judge Cradlebow’s Court and 1000 men, armed, came through Lehi. These men had been quartered at Provo to intimidate the Saints, but confusion came into their ranks and they returned to Camp Floyd. Thus as the Lord had said, “Every voice that is raised against you shall confounded and brought to naught.” Judgment did follow this army and the courts that sought to destroy the Saints. These were


Document info
Document views847
Page views847
Page last viewedMon Jan 16 11:20:31 UTC 2017