X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 126 / 182





126 / 182

at meeting and told of my visit to Taylor. Wilford worked on ditch and then started to school on Tuesday the 13th. It was the commencement of his winter term. May heaven bless the boy and keep him in the narrow way. I worked hoeing and cutting some corn. No frost to speak of yet. Saturday, Wilford went for wood, got a good load. I worked on the house. Put in the windows and finished putting on the weather boards.

Visited Adair on Sunday, the 25th, with President Smith. Found a goodly number of people ready to receive us. Spoke on the history of the great work, the first vision, the angel and the witnesses. Had three school teachers present to hear us. Monday, Mr. Anderson went out on a political campaign up to Pinetop and south of here. President Smith went out in favor of the Republican cause. Tuesday was election and much interest was taken by the people of this precinct. Mr. Anderson gave $20.00 on his board. Wilford and Burt broke up three acres of ground for me and started to plow for fall wheat.

November 16

Spoke in the schoolhouse on Women’s Rights. I mentioned the history of Esther, Naomi, Ruth and of the creation of Adam and mother Eve, and of the women at the tomb and Rhoda declaring the glad tidings of Peter’s deliverance. I attended Pinedale ward conference. Brought a load of eight thousand shingles home. Sunday the 29th, got to Taylor for quarterly conference. Gave five blessings and also one to Mariah and one to Priscilla Hatch. Attended a birthday party for President Smith. Got a sheep and 110 pounds of pork. Came home.

Sunday, December 6

Was the first monthly fast adopted by the Presidency of the Church to replace the Thursday fast day. We had a good and profitable time. Great testimonies were given by the brethren and sisters. December 13, Mrs. Anderson came to board with us. Gave a couple of blessings this day, one to Nettie Rencher and one to my granddaughter Louie Savage. Went to visit Sister Medora Gardner. Her floor was covered with beds. Eleven of her children were down with the measles. Delivered 550 pounds of wheat at Snowflake for $1.85 per cwt. to Brother Palmer to finish paying for lucern seed. Spent Sunday at Pine Dale. Gave twenty-five blessings that were written and a number of others. Drove toward home and cut some oak timber and a piece of pine to fix a harrow with. Arrived home on Christmas Eve. President Smith and B. Young arrived from Phoenix and spent Christmas with us. They reported the Irrigation conference and told of Brother Young being elected Vice President of the National Irrigation Company and of how the Lord vindicated and magnified His servants.

Saturday, December 26

Drove to Holbrook and took President Young who was on his way to San Juan. Brought back 100 pounds of dried apples and a sack of sugar. Meeting next day was quite interesting. We spent the holidays as usual. Many were sick with measles. This was general. Fast day, we had a good day. Adeline Savage spoke in tongues.

Monday, January 4

Was my seventy-first birthday. Children came down from Taylor. A grand time was given me by my children and grandchildren. January 9, President Smith came down. He spoke on Women’s Rights. Ward conference in Woodruff on Sunday and Monday. President Smith turned the charge of the stake over to me whilst he should be in Phoenix.

Sunday, 24th

Held ward conference at Snowflake. (Both Wilford and L. H. Hatch hauled many loads of wood during January.) Wednesday, I went for wood and took it to Brother Wimmer (who was sick) and at 7:00 P.M., we all went to a theater. (Local talent.) Louis Decker from Taylor and Samuel F. Smith, came down and went to theater. Other visitors came also. [Louis later married May and Samuel married Lula.] Saturday, Pedro worked his last day for me.

February to August 1

[There are many entries of regular farm work. Some days were spent on the dam and ditches and also making of fence. Held ward conference at St. Joseph, February 11, and stake conference at Snowflake on February 22 and 23. Hauled wood and fitted up stable and shop. Sowed wheat. Apostles John H. Smith and Heber J. Grant visited, holding meeting in Woodruff, both going to and returning from stake conferences at Snowflake and St. Johns. During this time President Smith returned from the Territorial Legislature at Phoenix where he had been for sixty days.] Brother Grant wrote a letter for me on his typewriter and President Udall spoke in high terms of Thomas Hatch who had been sustained as Bishop of the Alpine Ward.

Started for Woodruff. I was very tired and sleepy and when I got near the crossing of the Little Colorado, I missed my grip. It had my clothes and some books in it. I took one of the horses and went back seven or eight miles before finding it. This ride threw me into the night. At 2:00 A.M. I arrived home. Team very tired and I was much out of sorts with Lorenzo Hill Hatch. [The writer had a very bad accident during the summer. His horse stepped on him. This caused him several weeks of real suffering.]


I have neglected to write for four weeks. In July my daughter, Lula Jane came home from Logan where she has been going to school for three years. We were very glad to see her. James Shumway and Nettie and Jane came to see Lula and she returned to Taylor with them.


Document info
Document views934
Page views934
Page last viewedFri Jan 20 09:59:49 UTC 2017