X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 128 / 182





128 / 182

for each head and every eighth lamb. Came home on Tuesday and found mother much better. Brother Webb returned from Mexico and brought a flaming report.

October 19

Wilford sprained his ankle going to a dance. Sunday, November 28, was stake conference. Tuesday, I came home and brought May H. Decker, my daughter, with me. Worked around the home on December 18, went to ward conference. Next week made some door frames for the improvement we are making on the brick store building. We have made a stair outside and cut through the brick work to make an opening for safe retreat in case of accident or fire.

Christmas eve the young people had a dance after Santa Claus had dispensed his presents from the Christmas tree. Saturday was a children’s dance. My son Wilford went to Taylor and brought Lula Jane down to spend Christmas with us. We were glad to see her. Burt went to Fort Apache with freight, sixty cwt. He took four animals and he made a very quick trip.

Sunday, December 26

Brother A. A. DeWitt spoke. He had been gone two years. We were glad to see him in our meetings again. I worked during the week on the doors. Made large panels, dressing the timber down from two inch plank to one and a half inches.

Weather was very fine on Friday, the 31st. In the evening had a big dance. Ten or twelve young people came up from St. Joseph to participate in the New Years holiday. And on January 1, we went to a theater in which Wilford took an important part. He has spent near three weeks of hard work on a committee for these holidays. The close of the year found me in good health and I worked hard all day at the bench and went to the theater at night. Louis Decker came and spent the first day of January with us. May went out two miles and met him. She drove young Florence and Rach on the little wagon. He left us at 6:00 A.M. on Monday, the 3rd to get to his job of carrying mail to Tonto. At our fast meeting on Sunday, Bishop Savage offered the special prayer for Clark Owens, Adelaide Fish, my son Jeremiah and others. May the Lord hear our prayers and raise up these sick ones.

During the week, worked on the doors for the brick building, delivering a load of hay to Brother Wimmer. Took a load of hay to Holbrook, set the doors up. Burt went for timber for the flume and six of my horses went on the job. Saturday, one of Fred Gardner’s boys worked for me.

Saturday, January 15

Brothers Theodore Turley and Adam Brewer visited us in the interest of the YMMIA and in the P.M. our north room was filled with neighbors who came in to visit. Some of our children came, then President Smith, Aunt Emma and Sister West came in compliment of

my seventy-second birthday. My son Heber Albert took charge. Nora, Adeline, May and Wilford were all there. Dear Nora said this should have taken place on January 4, but because of the health of the family it was deferred till now. Many good things were said of my labors and mission. I give God all the praise if I have done any good in this great and good work. President Smith said that I had truly preached the gospel. My labors have been known to him, better than any other man for the past twenty years. Dear Catherine gave me much credit and Peter Christopherson told of my calling a man to account who was profaning the name of the Lord. Food, cakes and pies were passed around and we all adjourned to attend a lecture on “Women’s Rights” which was given by President Smith to a full house. He was truly inspired. (Adeline is President of this club in Woodruff.)

Sunday, 16th

Ward conference at Woodruff. We set apart three sisters to act as midwives and nurses. (They had taken a course in hygiene and reform in dress.) They were Sisters Mary Lillywhite, Medora Gardner, and Adeline Savage. President Smith and company returned to Snowflake on Monday and our daughter May went with them to her home in Taylor. We were left quite lonely.

January 20

Wilford with William DeWitt, Horace and Mitchell Lillywhite went to Diamond Tanks for pine wood. It was snowing and severly cold but the boys found some and returned late at night. We were much troubled about the boys because the weather was so cold, but they were all right. Sunday, Elder Woodruff Freeman was our home missionary. During the week, I got out some pickets for fence. Wilford went for wood. Monday, the 31st, Louis and May came from Taylor. It was cold. During the week, I worked in shop making a table and cupboard for May. Louis helped me at this work. Next week, made fence and wrote to my brother Jeremiah, seven pages of note paper, on our work for the dead. Set out some currant bushes.

Sunday, February 13

We fasted for Fayette Hatch who is on a mission to the Samoan Islands. Prayed that his speech might be regulated so that he can speak with ease and be able to overcome any impediment.

Thursday, 17th

Ward conference at St. Joseph. Apostles John Henry Smith and John W. Taylor arrived and held two meetings and all rejoiced. Friday, returned to Woodruff. Bought a plow for thirteen dollars and listened to the apostles at night who held a meeting in Woodruff. Saturday, went to Snowflake for quarterly conference. Brother Reidhead and Catherine went up with me also Abbie Hatch. Jenney Gardner drove a span of colts. We all arrived at 5:00 P.M.


Document info
Document views999
Page views999
Page last viewedMon Jan 23 13:28:58 UTC 2017