X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 130 / 182





130 / 182

him good-bye and Burt took him to Holbrook. May God bless my boy John.

Saturday, 20th

I was watering when a messenger arrived and told me that I was requested to speak at the funeral of Father Charles Shumway who had passed away. I left at 5:00 P.M. Addie Savage (my granddaughter) went with me. Taylor, 22 May, a large congregation met for the funeral. Loaded up with lumber and drove home on Monday. Watered my wheat on Tuesday.

May 28

Attended stake conference at Snowflake. I gave a blessing to Alfred Randel. Bishop Savage took a load of lumber down for me. I returned with Brother and Sister Webb, thus ended a good conference. Next week used the new mower for cutting lucern.

Lorin on mission in Omaha

June 19

Good letter from Lorin who is happy in his labors in Omaha. [He was on a mission.] Attended ward conference at Snowflake. I felt so driven with work that I have neglected to write. Lula came for me Sunday night, the 19th, and we drove to Taylor to administer to Nettie. It was 11:00 P.M. Went to Woodruff next day.

Sunday, July 17

Ward conference at Woodruff. President Smith and Richards were not present because of high water. I felt quite lonely.

July 21

Ward conference at St. Joseph. River very high. I rode old Chris across. He fell and wet me some. Brothers Smith and Richards were with us. We had a good time. We administered to a sick child of Brother Marius Porter’s. I gave four blessings.

Monday, 22nd

Drove home and crossed the Little Colorado with some difficulty because of high water. Found all well but dear Adeline Savage who had been confined with a new baby boy. They called him Jesse Mathers Savage. This child was born 19 July, 1898. Wilford was fitting out to work for Thomas (who had a contract for log hauling.)

Wilford and William DeWitt left Woodruff enroute for New Mexico. He took five horses and two wagons. I and his mother were left alone. It was quite a trial to both of us. Two letters from John. He was feeling fine.

August 27

Bishop Savage left Friday for quarterly conference in Snowflake. The river was high. He swam his horse across, then walked the flume, and got his books and saddle which he carried across on the flume. The water had been impassable for several days and it was doubtful whether I would be able to attend. On Saturday, the water was lower and we went to Greer’s

crossing and arrived in time for part of the afternoon session. I spoke and gave an account of our perilous time in crossing the river. I have never failed in twenty-three years to attend quarterly conference in our stake, only when I have been in Utah. I gave several blessings. Came home on Tuesday, the 30th. The river had fallen so that we could cross at the regular crossing but it came up the evening after we had crossed. Found Adeline much better.

August 31

Clarence Owens crossed the river under the flume and was near being lost in the turbulent stream. Saturday, 3 September, I left with a load of hay for Holbrook and was stalled in Rio Puerco. Rode horseback to town and got Brother Bradshaw to pull me out. Got home at 11:00 P.M. and. found mother sick. Good meeting on Sunday. It was fast day. Burt had come home on Saturday.

Saturday, September 24

I drove to Taylor. Took a load of peaches which I Let Brothers Denim and Butler have at three cents a pound. Attended ward conference and gave two blessings. President Smith and Richards were not present. The former had to be in Holbrook and Brother Richards had gone to Tuba. We had a good conference. Louie Savage went with me. She stopped at May Decker’s. I drove home on Monday. Brother Owens and Lillywhite bargained for an old thresher of J. Frisbie and Amos Rogers. We were to pay $150.00 for a two-thirds interest in it. Burt and Fred Gardner went to Snowflake to thresh out some wheat. This machine did very poor work. It was worn out. ‘

Monday, 26th

I was called to Taylor; attended the funeral of Willard’s child.

October 14

I went to Snowflake. Parley Savage went with me. On Saturday, drove to Adair. The wind blew fearful. President Smith and Richards arrived. We held ward conference. I went to Linden and gave John Oscar Reidhead an order for thirty-three dollars in grain on Will Seymour. On to Pine Dale and got some oak timber loaded up and got home on Tuesday. Louie came with us. J. W. Pearce gave me a check for wool. Wrote to John and Lorin. Sunday, went to meeting and on Tuesday some politicians lectured to us. Burt took politicians to St. Johns on Wednesday and I watered ground for plowing. I gave a blessing to Samuel Tenney. Watered ground and worked on the house. On Thursday, the 27th, Brother Tenney left enroute for Europe. I received a letter from Thomas. He sent me fifty dollars. My health is quite poor. I have a bad cold. During week I worked around home. Saturday, November 5, Mosiah Hancock came (from southern Utah). We held two fast meetings for Brother Joseph Lillywhite.


Document info
Document views900
Page views900
Page last viewedWed Jan 18 20:31:50 UTC 2017