X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 134 / 182





134 / 182

ready to go to (schoo1) at Thatcher.

Friday, 25th

Wilford started with the little wagon and two horses for Thatcher. Addie Savage (granddaughter) Jennie Lee, and Judith Christopherson went with him--a big toad of them. Thomas went at the same time. We were very lonely. I attended old folks party at Taylor and Snowflake on August 8 and 9. Sunday, September 3, we had a good meeting. Had fifteen to twenty persons at our house. Mother and Lula had both been sick but seemed to be able to do the work.

Monday, September 4

We closed our conference. Most of the adults went home but the young people had a dance for the benefit of Brother Brewer who is blind. Our table was full on Tuesday. May was with us. Since conference I sent Jesse DeWitt with forty-five cwt. of freight to Apache. Whilst I was in Salt Lake City Wilford took forty-five cwt. for which I am to pay tithing. Worked on the barn and watered my oats.

Sunday, 10th

Fast day. May was quite sick and was healed. Her babe is sick with whooping cough. Lula Jane got three of her fingers badly bruised white cleaning the big hall. A window fell on them. All are well now but the babe. Little Lydia Savage was quite sick. Burt plowed some for me.

Sunday, 17th

Good meeting. I ordained Clark Owens a priest and Fay Gardner a deacon. During the week, I was over busy. Put a window in my barn and one in my shop. Saturday, left for Taylor to hold ward conference. Took May and Delia Foutz with me. Went to ward conference at 10:30 A.M. on Sunday. Took dinner with Ezra and supper with Willard.

Sunday, October 1

Fast day. Brother Reidhead offered the special prayer. Cut some hay the following week. Sunday, October 22, attended ward conference in Showlow. Stopped at Mother Ellsworth’s. We had good quarters and were made welcome.

Came to Taylor and got Louie Savage and on to Woodruff. Got a load of wood and fixed up our wagons for to get freight.

October 14

Lula went to Taylor (to teach school). Sunday, 5 November, we fasted for our sons, Thomas and Wilford. We desired that Thomas might be able to pay his debts and be blessed with his motherless children and that Wilford might be blessed in his school. O, Father, bless my dear daughter Lula and Catherine. Give them health and prosperity and thou shalt have all the praise.

Monday, November 6

Threshed wheat, 150 bushels of wheat and 125 bushels of oats. Burt left for Apache.

Sunday, 12th  

Mother and I got supper at L. M. Savage’s.

Monday, 13th

Made out a bill to send to Kansas City for shoes and etc., to be brought home by Clarence Owens. Very busy during week. Drove to Taylor and on to Pine Dale. Held two meetings. The crops are poor in this ward. Mother went with me and remained at Taylor. Lula and Mrs. Johnson, the lady school teacher, came December 1, from Holbrook. (Had been to Teacher’s Institute.) We left for Snowflake. Brother Savage put in one horse. Nora, mother and Lula went, also Louie and Lydey Savage.

High Council convened on Friday. Saturday, we met in conference with the Sisters. Sunday, we had many speakers. Among the returned missionaries was Samuel F. Smith. At Priesthood meeting, the sisters attending, we had much good instruction on building the academy. My son Ezra was sustained as President of the Elders Quorum.

Monday, December 4

A very interesting day. Bishop L. M. Savage was our last speaker. His remarks were in reference to forcing men to heaven. He said many would be forced from the entrance to that good place. His remarks were sound and good. He felt thankful to be permitted to attend conference and to have freedom and liberty.

In the evening Lula attended a social party. Brother Savage and Nora went to Taylor. We came home on Tuesday. Found all well. Burt had made a successful trip and went to Holbrook with six horses to get another load for Keams Canyon.

Sunday, 10th

Wrote a letter to Ruth. Went to Sabbath School Jubilee, fifty years having passed since Richard Ballentine organized the first school in the Church in the 14th ward, Salt Lake City, 10 December, 1849. Sunday, the 17th, Brother Reidhead returned from Utah, having been gone two and a half months doing temple work. He felt well. I went and administered to our granddaughter, Alvenia Savage, who had been bitten by a dog.

December 18

I put in and watered six acres of wheat during the week and on Thursday went to Brother and Sister Wimmer’s 30th wedding sociable party. Friday I worked on the wagon and on Saturday, we got a letter from H. E. Hatch stating that Hyrum was very sick and also one from Chloe stating that she was very much concerned for Hyrum.

December 23 and 24


Document info
Document views857
Page views857
Page last viewedTue Jan 17 05:15:29 UTC 2017