X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 24 / 182





24 / 182

Sunday, 8th

Arose at an early hour; fasted and met in council with the Priesthood and laid the business of the meeting before the brethren. Had much of the Lord’s spirit with us. Read a letter from President Young and the elders felt to go forth and baptize and to serve God with undivided heart. Met at 6:00 P.M. I addressed the meeting with much spirit upon the necessity of new revelation, after which Pastor Young preached his farewell to the Saints in Leeds. Gave my note to Mr. Eastham for ten pounds and ten shilling to be paid eight months after date in behalf of the Sheffield Conference as Pastor. Arrived at Leeds and found Pastor Young doing some business. Held a meeting at Brother Fox’s. Much feeling of respect was shown for Pastor Young. The saints loved him very much. May the Lord ever bless them and Brother Young with His holy spirit. After the Saints were gone, I received the accounts from Pastor Young and settled with him. Paid for his emigration, and he felt blessed. I can truly say that the Lord has heard and answered my prayers in this matter of getting up the emigration for him. We went to bed at 2:00 in the morning and were up early the next morning. Went to station with Brother Young and bade him good-bye, My heart was full. I never found a man that I labored with that I felt better toward than him. He is a man of God. May the Lord ever bless him is my prayer. I find myself once more alone in the midst of old Babylon. My American brethren having gone home causes me to feel solemn and to lean on the arm of my God. He who has protected me through all the difficulties that I have had to contend with, which have been many. “O, Lord, my God, hear my prayer and help me in my many labors that rest upon me. I ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.” At Bradford, went to bath and baptized some twenty persons. Brother Rudd also baptized fifteen, and we went to the room and confirmed them.

Sunday, 15th

Some letters made me feel bad as I was disappointed. Letter from Pastor Young, he has set sail for America. At evening meeting, we had a full house and I preached. Some confusion among the rabel, but good was done. Monday, went to Leeds and found Sister Fox and the family well. Went to a district meeting. Tuesday the 17th, sent some money to Mr. Eastham. Found that the priesthood had met; and after doing some business and cutting off some rotten branches, I gave some counsel to the Priesthood, and then went to Mother Hanson’s where I stayed all night. I was much fatigued.

Wednesday, 18th

Elder Rudd and I went to Mitham. We rode on foot, a distance of seven miles, in company with a young woman that didn’t belong to the Church. Elder Rudd preached to her, and she sent money to Liverpool as a deposit for her emigration. She agreed to be baptized. Arrived at dark and held a meeting. The good spirit was

with us. After meeting we took a train for Bradford, the Saints accompanying us. Friday the 20th, my health is good. Went to Leeds and found all well. I walked through the town and reflected on the nature of things. Saturday, I received letter from Brother Benson with good counsel contained in it. Wrote letter to Elder Robinson and Brother Benson.

Sunday, 22nd

In the evening, I preached showing the reasons why the gospel will not mix with sectarianism. Administered to a sick sister who was healed. On Monday, administered to Sister Silverwood. The Lord blessed her. Went to Woodhouse and visited with Sister Lapish. Went to Leeds where Elder Harney had a young man up before the court for disturbing the meeting at Duesbery. The court decided that he should pay the costs, and the Saints that were witnesses got a half crown each for their expenses. Thus the Lord was with Elder Harney and I pray that those that do not keep good order may fall in the same snare. On Tuesday, went to Idele and found many of the Saints present at our meeting. Had much of the spirit of the Lord with us and several of the Saints came from Bradford. We had a glorious meeting. This was fast day. On Wednesday, I walked to Bradford where I found Elder Jackson. Elder Evans was with me. Went with Elder Rudd to the bath and he baptized a young woman and confirmed her. Went with Elder Jackson to Brighouse on foot, a distance of seven mites. Found Elder Harney there and held a meeting at the room with the Saints. They were most dead. I did the best that I could with them.

Thursday, 26th

Left Elder Harney and went on my way to Hull. Found Elder Hobbs well and glad to see me. The Saints met at Brother Hilsteads and I spoke to them on necessity of reformation. The power of God was with us. Gave out an appointment for the Priesthood to meet at Brother Hilsteads the next night. Friday, spent the day with Elder Hobbs, visiting the Saints, and at evening met with the Priesthood. Told them for what purpose I had called them together. Gave all the chance of speaking. All expressed their desire to carry out the counsel and to repent. I called on them to make up the emigration for Brother David and they gave seven pounds to be raised in two weeks. The Lord was with me of a truth. Meeting lasted until 12:00 midnight. On Saturday, I felt to pray that Sister Slack’s husband might be moved out of the way.

Sunday, March 1

Met at the bath and re-baptized Priesthood, fifteen in number. Received a letter from Elder Rudd informing me of the death of President [Jedediah M.] Grant, which caused me to feel bad. Went to the meeting and confirmed the brethren. We had a fast meeting which lasted all day--till 7:00 P. M.



Document info
Document views899
Page views899
Page last viewedWed Jan 18 19:14:27 UTC 2017