X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 26 / 182





26 / 182

I went back on board and Brother Benson organized [our company on the] ship by appointing James Parker President and Jesse B. Martin with Charles B. Doney as counselors. After appointing some bishops, Brother Benson made some glorious remarks and blessed them. Then Brother Ray gave a spirited address after which I was called upon to speak. Much of the spirit of the Lord rested upon me and I felt to rejoice that I had stopped. Brother Neslen and Lunt made good remarks. Brother Benson again blessed the Saints with much of the holy spirit, and we bade the Saints adieu and were about to leave but when we got to the ladder, we saw Brother Pratt coming and we received him with many cheers. He confirmed all that had been said and made some very spirited remarks, blessed the Saints and the Captain and the crew. Then we left with many loud cheers, which caused the heart to swell with feelings of love, which cannot be expressed, by pen. We arrived in a little boat on the shores of Liverpool where I went to work and settled up my business and prepared to leave.

Visited with Brother Benson and at 10:00 P.M. went with Brother Burrows to the conference house. We stayed all night. At 5:30 the next morning, went to the office where Brother Benson was waiting for me. He went with me to the station and saw me off. He blessed me as I shook hands with him. Arrived at Sheffield and saw Brother Robertson. Did some business with him and at 4:00 P.M. left for Hull. Found Brother Hobbs there. I was very tired.

Sunday, 28th

Fasted and went to the conference and held a branch council. We released Brother Micheal Waite from the Presidency of the branch and appointed Brother Hilstead to fill his place. Had a glorious conference and confirmed several members. Monday, went to Grimsby. Held a meeting in the house of a man by the name of Frost, a stranger. Several strangers attended and expressed their satisfaction in what was said. This branch consists mostly of sisters but I felt that soon some will be added to the Church.

Tuesday, 31st

Left this place for Hull on board a Packet, where I soon began preaching and several of the passengers expressed satisfaction. Soon the old Pharasaic spirit manifested itself in an old hypocrite that was on board. Took dinner with Captain Simpson. Found mail at my room where we had a good social party.

Wednesday, April 1

Arose and went to Sister Peters where we got both breakfast and dinner at one time. At Sister Jackson’s had a long talk with an old hypocrite. Went to room and preached to a large congregation of Saints and strangers. Thursday, at Leeds, found Brother Fox and Brother Carne auditing the books. I was gladly received. Friday, I felt well. Went with Brother Fox to Sister Scarborrow’s and had our drinking and went and visited

Brother Duffet. Explained some manifestations to him on spiritual communications. Had a long talk with Sister Silverwood. Baptized for the first time, Charles Fox. Elders Calking and Ray came from Liverpool to attend our conference.

Sunday, 5th

10:00 A.M. opened conference. Brothers Calking and Ray gave much good instructions and spoke on tithing. At 2:00 P.M. all the traveling elders spoke, Brother Ray called on each one of us to speak and we had a glorious time. Went to Bradford on Monday with Brothers Calking and Ray. Had a good meeting. Brethren left for Liverpool. Spent day in Bradford settling some difficulty between Brother Rudd and Mother Ramsdam. Priesthood meeting in evening.

Wednesday, 8th

Brother Rudd and I were attended by Brother Fox on the way to Idele. Brother Fox was very thirsty. I told him to call at the first house and tell them that he was a servant of God and wanted a drink of water in the name of a disciple. He did as I told him and it had a good effect. He rejoiced much in the Lord through this act. Went to Leeds and found two young men that wanted to be baptized. Wrote Brother Fox to come and attend to this and then left for Sheffield. Saturday the 11th, fasted that the spirit of the Lord might rest upon me and that we might have a good conference. Wrote some letters and went to the station at 2:00 P.M. Met Brother Lunt and held our council meeting. Went with Brother Lunt to Sister Hopkins and stayed all night.

Sunday, 12th

Went to the hall fasting and praying that the Lord would be with us. He was with us and of a truth He was. Met at 10:00A.M. and did the business of the conference. Gave much instruction in the forenoon. Met at 2:30 P.M. Elder Rudd and Elder Robertson spoke. At 6:00 P.M. Elder Lunt spoke and I followed him. A solemn yet heavenly influence pervaded the whole of the assembly. One man voted against President Young with his left hand. I asked him if he belonged to the Church and he said that he did not. I told him that he put up his left hand just as the devil always did. He felt that he had got to the wrong place. Thus the day was spent with much interest. Monday, spent visiting the Saints and met in the hall at 6:00 P.M. for meeting. Elder Robinson and I addressed the Saints, the power of God rested upon me and revealed the acts of the President of the Branch, calling upon him to humble himself and the spirit was poured out upon the congregation in great effusion. Elder Rudd was quite poorly. We administered to him. Called and ordained Brother Charles Parkinson an Elder and James Hiberd a priest. Thus ended Monday.

Tuesday, 14th

After bidding the Saints good-bye, Brother Lunt and I went to Chesterfield where we read some novel reports


Document info
Document views967
Page views967
Page last viewedSat Jan 21 23:39:57 UTC 2017