X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 36 / 182





36 / 182

Sheffield. He covered the distance by “walking to the point of the meeting.” Next he walked eight miles. The Druery Cart and horse carried him five miles and walked eleven miles. Took the train to Grantham. Here he was met by sister from the Church with his carpet bag. He said many good-byes. Held one council meeting at Notingham. Went to Chesterfield by train where he held another meeting. Received and wrote several letters. One was from S. W. Richards. Here are his own words as the week is over: “Which caused my heart to rejoice, felt much blessed. Was much fatigued.”]

Sunday, December 6

Had a walk with Brother Snider and felt much blessed in his society. Held meeting at 2:00P.M. after which we went to Brother Hopkins and administered to Elizabeth.

[During the weeks from December 6, 1857, to February 12, 1858, Elder Hatch’s time was completely absorbed in much the same way as the last week just described with the noticeable exception that each week brought him nearer to the time of leaving. The Saints were all kind in their expressions of goodwill and sorrow, sometimes tears, at the thought of seeing him no more. The routine of meeting each day in the various branches and conferences at regular intervals in the larger centers of Leeds, Hull, Chesterfield and Sheffield occurring almost every Sunday, occupied his time. He and various companions walked back and forth over this large area to meet the daily appointments, staying with the Saints much of the time. They found joy and gladness in their day. Almost every day he makes mention of this fact. “Blessed of the Lord,” or “We rejoice before Him.” Saturday was always fast-day to these zealous missionaries and the Sabbath the highlight of each week.

[He bought a chest in preparation for the trip and I find mention of many gifts from friends and Saints that found their way into the chest. Viz: two collars from Sister Emy Jackson, pocket knife, half dozen pair of stockings for his wives, embroidered table cover, croqueted tablecover, silver pencil from Brother Charles Fox, knitted items, two pair of false sleeves for the wives, Sister Fox, always was so kind to him, sent a veil to his wife and a pair of “nice cuffs, made of lamb’s wool, for my little daughter Clarissa,” and someone else gave him material for each wife to sew herself a dress. This dress material was of German plaid. Adding to all this, he had a picture taken of himself to leave with many of the Saints and bought two blankets with which to “cross the plains.” This is to be his third trip across. He should have known how to prepare.

[As the days of preparation went forward, I find no slackening in the number of meetings, baptisms, council gatherings, reports, fasts and long walks. Gave many blessings in company of his companions to the sick. One night at Brother Blaisford’s in Chesterfield he writes: “I blessed five persons with a parting blessing.” Many sent messages to their loved ones who were

already in the Valley and on one occasion he tells us of trying to bring comfort to the mother of young George Padler who had lost his life on his way to Utah. He traveled with the hand-cart company.

[There were many farewell parties and sermons because one happened at almost every place he visited during those two and one half months. He wrote: “Brother Foster gave me three pounds for my emigration.

I had not said anything about it. On the 12th of December, the brethren blessed me with health and promised that I should return to my family. My heart was full when I parted with these brethren.” He also makes special mention of his birthday and blessings accompanying it. “At Christmas time, we met at the room. Had a most splendid party. Raised ten pounds toward the emigration of some of the Elders. Had songs and recitings; talked with many of the brethren who want to go to Zion.”

[About this time, Brother Fox of Leeds, a native Elder and close friend of Elder Hatch, was called to go to Glasgow, Scotland. I quote the Journal again: “Called to say farewell to Brother Fox; I gave him my cane and blessed him and parted with a warm friend who I cannot forget. May his life be lengthened and that of his family to reach the land of Joseph and receive his blessings in the House of the Lord is the prayer of L. H. Hatch.” Often he records that he knelt down to pray with the family, the widow, the kind friend or his brother as they realized that he would not be seeing them again. There was an especially large crowd to hear his fast sermon in Sheffield where in his own words: “I have spent the day preaching the gospel to Saints and sinners. The Lord has abundantly blessed me.” On the day just mentioned he received a long letter, written to cover many matters, from one of the native Elders that was presiding in Lincolnshire. Grandfather includes the entire letter in his Journal, but shall take only one short excerpt which follows:]

Dear brother, I hope to see you once more at least before you leave old England. Many of the Saints would like to see you, and all are sorry that Brother Hatch is going to leave them, but none can be more sorry than myself. Your instructions to me have been good; with your meekness and humility have won for you my best feelings and highest esteem. I have always rejoiced in your society. I wish you a prosperous journey home. All the Saints with whom I am acquainted feel to bless Brother Hatch. With kind love to you and all the brethren.

I Remain, Your Brother in the Gospel,

James Taylor

[other quotes:]

Prepared to sail to United States

At Grantham, as I passed through, the Saints came and sang--I prayed with them. Received letter to be in


Document info
Document views994
Page views994
Page last viewedMon Jan 23 11:28:26 UTC 2017