X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 38 / 182





38 / 182

fourteen miles and continued traveling every day until we reached the city of Cresent, which was on the first day of April. On Friday, the 2nd, we crossed the Missouri River into Florence. Here another council was held and two of our company were to stop until another company started. This proved to be Brother John L. Smith and Brother S. B. Young.

These brethren, I much regretted to part with as Brother Seymour had traveled with me all the way from England and labored with me while there. He is a good faithful man. John L. was my bed-fellow and a good man; but all our feelings have to be subdued. We left Florence Saturday the 3rd. Brother J.Y. Green drove one of the wagons and I drove the other all the way from Burlington and was much blessed with good health and was prospered in all things.

Arrived in Nebraska Territory

Monday, April 5

We arrived At Genoa, Nebraska Territory. We found about 150 Saints who were poor but very glad to see us. It was decided to leave one wagon and pack the animals with provisions and start as soon as possible. [Let us remember that this outfit is called an Express.] I made two pack saddles, wrote two letters to England, and took supper at James Howarth with Brother S.W, Richards. Next day, put together two more saddles, run some bullets and wrote some more letters. Thursday, went to the Lupe-Fork. John Wakeley and another Brother tried to cross their horses. They (the horses) got down and the boys lost two spades. Then Brother Clinton proposed an Organization as we had come to a sticker. He being in charge of the Express, appointed Brother S. W. Richards as Chaplain and chose the above named S. W. Richards and G.G. Snyder as his counselors. We remained on the bank of the river all night.

Friday, 9th

We took a large wagon bed and made it tight. Crossed all our things over. Got ourselves very wet, being in the water all day. Swam some of the horses across. Some of them mired down, but we succeeded in getting them all over. Our horses being cold, ran off that night and it was quite a job to find them. We left the Lupe on Saturday for the Mountains. It being rainy we didn’t travel but ten miles and camped. The storm continued and we tarried all day Sunday and Monday as the storm was hard. We were greatly exposed. Tuesday the storm was a little abated and we continued traveling thirty-six to forty miles each day. Our animals were much jaded while traveling to Laramie, Wyoming, where we arrived on the twenty-fourth of April and remained all day within nine miles of the fort, preparatory to traveling all night. Arranged the wagon and our arms.

The Lord has been merciful to me. I have had to stand guard two nights out of three and we drove much in the night which is very fatiguing. I have cooked for the boys. This keeps me very busy. We continued

our journey without molestation. Our animals failed considerable. We arrived at Devil’s Gate about the 1st of May, where it commenced storming and continued for better than two days. The snow fell two feet deep, covering all the feed.

After the storm abated, we started on our journey. There being much snow, two of our animals gave out and we did not make but ten miles travel in this snow. The snow affected our eyes much for three days. About the 4th of May, Brothers S. W. Richards, G.G. Snyder, and J.Y. Green left us four in charge of the poor stock, taking the best animals with them (and went ahead.) They were anxious to get home and deliver the news.

The morning after they left one of Dr. C1inton’s mules died having given out several days previous. This enabled us to travel with much more speed. On the 6th, we camped at noon at the Sublett Cutoff. But D. R. Clinton determining to go to Bridger, drove past the cutoff and on the 7th, we camped at Big Sandy within six miles of Green River. Crossed the river next morning and found that our brethren had left a horse at Bates’ place which we called and got. Here we learned that our brethren were two days ahead of us. They left the road at Black’s Fork and took around Bridger. Bates being a traitor, informed the troops and they followed but could not overtake them.

At about 3:00 P.M. we came onto a company of soldiers who were on the lookout for us and told us that we should be taken to the fort. Five of these men folowed us as a guard to prevent us from escape. These men marched us right into Fort Bridger. Brother Wakeley said that he would be taken and the rest of us let go. But I told him, we would all go together and that Dr. Clinton [man who refused to take the cutoff] should drop in for all the harm.

Monday, 10th

Dr. Clinton went ahead and saw Colonel Johnston who could give a pass. But while Dr. Clinton was trading, Soloman Gee came up to our wagon and I overheard him say that he knew J. Wakeley and that he would take an oath that John Wakeley was concerned in some scrape which would implicate him. A writ was issued immediately for him. But this was overruled by the wise hand of God and he was released on bail. The Dr. Clinton went his bail, five thousand dollars, for his appearance at court. We then got our papers and traveled nearly all night. Next day we met some of our boys who were glad to see us and took us to their camp.

Wednesday, we traveled through Echo Canyon and saw the fortifications of our brethren and on Thursday we landed in the City and felt much rejoiced.

Arrives in Lehi

Friday, 14th

I rode with Brother Joseph W. Young to Lehi and met my family who were glad to see me. Two of my


Document info
Document views991
Page views991
Page last viewedMon Jan 23 06:46:03 UTC 2017