X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 46 / 182





46 / 182

started home at 11:00 A.M. with a load of Church flour. I was much fatigued. All week, I worked at repairing and making grain cradles, and on Sunday, I spoke after Father Murdock, in reference to obtaining celestial glory.

August 1

Commenced my (rock) wall around the yard and each day did something at it. (Most of August spent in the harvest field.)

Wednesday, 25th

I was appointed Adjutant to Colonel David Evans. Thursday we were mustered at the American Fork and passed inspection by General Aaron Johnson:

(Attended Fair of 1861...)

Saturday, October 5

Started for the City at 6:00 A.M. with six persons and feed for my mules aboard my wagon. Arrived at the City at 3:00 P.M. The roads were very bad. I attended the Fair. It was a fine concern for a new country.

[Four] days I worked for O. P. Rockwell framing some timbers and arranging for raising a large barn, 23x100 feet. I got it raised and the rafters on at about 5:00 P.M. on Saturday and returned home at night. Found all well. Monday 2, November, I worked in my shop and on Tuesday my teams started with hay to Camp Floyd for Charles Fox. I worked, hanging rafters for my house, which I had been putting up and on Wednesday, I put on a temporary roof. It commenced to storm and stormed all night. [No doubt this was an additional room to the house.] Posted my books and made arrangements to go to the City as a member of the Legislative Assembly from Utah and Cedar Counties.

Sunday, November 8

I started about noon with my team and Brother Thomas Karren accompaning me for Salt Lake City. Roads very bad. We traveled as far as Bishop Cahoon’s on Cottonwood. We attended meeting and stayed all night. Monday, I arrived at the court house at 10:00 A.M. where I was sworn into office and took my seat. Tuesday, met in the hall and in joint session had the Governor’s message read to us, read by himself in person. The name of this Governor is John W. Dawson, of Indiana. It called loud for the people of Utah to assist in the present war. Met at the hall on Wednesday. Monday, the 16th, met at Library and brought in our report at 1:00 P.M. which was received. Wednesday, we passed a bill to have a Convention to form a State Constitution preparatory to admission [to the United States]. Sunday, President Young spoke in the morning. At 6:00 P. M. I went With Brother Peter Maughn to the 16th Ward and preached. Tuesday, I attended the dedication of the 14th Ward meeting house. Brother Woodruff made the dedication.

Met at the hall and I presented a petition for the repeal of the Lehi City Charter signed by 120 persons. After doing some business, we adjourned till January 3.

Wednesday, December 25

It being Christmas, I repaired to the social hall. It was fitted up for the Legislative Union Ball. Found it well fitted and in good order. At 7:00 P.M. I met with the gentlemen and ladies who were invited to the Ball. I was one of the committee for this large party. There were seventy couples. It went off in splendid order. We broke up at 2:00 A.M. [That morning] Thursday, I started home. Walked a portion of the way to Bill’s Place. I was overtaken by Bishop Harrington and rode with him to Lehi. Found all as well as usual. Sylvia had given birth to a fine daughter, born on Monday the 23rd. [Elizabeth Ann] She was getting along very well. Friday I did some little business about home. Saturday, hauled some straw and fixed up my stables. Sunday, the 29th, I and Bishop Evans went to Cedar Fort to hold a mass meeting at that place. We found the roads very bad.

We arrived at Cedar Fort at about 6:00 P.M. and sent a letter to Fairfield requesting the people to come from that place to meet with the people of Cedar Fort. Monday At 11:00 A.M. Met with the people of Cedar Fort and Fairfield. After appointing a chairman and clerk, I stated the object of the meeting. The purpose was to appoint delegates from Cedar County to meet in convention at Great Salt Lake City on the 20th of January, 1862. After some instructions, said delegate was appointed. I and Bishop Evans went to Alpine City and a similar meeting was held and delegates were appointed. I was one of said delegates. Brothers George A. Smith and J. W. Cummins held a meeting at Lehi for the purpose of appointing delegates to the Convention. Several resolutions were passed. Brother George and James gave us a regular canvas lecture and all things passed off in good order.

January 2, 1862

Started to Salt Lake City with Brother Cummins and G. A. Smith. It was a very bad day, raining all the way. We stopped at Archey Gardner’s and stayed all night with him. We went on Friday morning. At 8:00 A. M., it snowed hard and the wind was strong in the north. Arrived at noon and at 1:00 P. M. met at the hall according to arrangement. Heard President Young preach on Sunday. He said that all men are on trial and if worthy will receive a fullness of glory. Monday, January, the 6th, met at the bowery at a mass meeting and passed several strong resolutions. President Young gave a splendid address upon our situation and rights of people. Everything was unanimous and spirited. President Young said God’s punishment was eternal punishment because there would always be wickedness to punish. Met in joint session, this day is last day of session.


Document info
Document views970
Page views970
Page last viewedSun Jan 22 02:18:22 UTC 2017